Cuenca


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
September 11th 2014
Published: September 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We left Mancora in a minivan headed for Tumbes to catch our direct bus to Cuenca. When we arrived in Tumbes I gave our voucher in at the station to exchange it for our bus ticket to Cuenca, however I received tickets to Guayaquil. I questioned the tickets and was told I would have to buy new ones to go to Cuenca, after trying to explain that my original voucher was for Cuenca I finally got the tickets I wanted but learnt that we would have another change of bus. At least there were several other people on the bus also heading for Cuenca, safety in numbers always feels comforting.

Our bus arrived at the border and we joined the unmoving queue to receive our exit stamp for Peru. Eventually we got our exit stamps and joined the even slower moving queue to receive our entry stamps to Ecuador. This queue didn't move due to the number of people pushing in and the slow pace of the immigration officials typing in all the details into their computers. One of the guys from our bus suggested to them to get a passport reader for Christmas to speed up the process. Eventually the security decided to do something about the line, he ensured we were all single file but unfortunately didn't control the people pushing in. Three hours later we received our entry stamp and went out to find our bags on the sidewalk and our original bus leaving. Unfortunately no one knew which bus was to take us to Cuenca. After being told there was no more buses going to Cuenca that day a bus turned up expecting us and took us on our way.

Cuenca is a Spanish colonial city and a Unesco world heritage site. It's a very beautiful city and has a relaxed pace which we completely took advantage of.

Cuenca was great for catching up with another friend we met at the Beehive, Kate from Canada. Kate was staying in Cuenca learning Spanish and invited us along to her school for cocktail making which was great fun but pretty short so we headed to a local microbrewery to carry on the night.

Kate invited us along on a trip to the little village of Gualaceo, I went along but Gary decided to stay and have a day relaxing. The village itself was pretty quiet and the market wasn't selling anything of interest except for ice creams, toffee apples and chocolate covered strawberries. The bus ride there however provided a little more excitement than expected. The bus was full leaving Cuenca but we still picked up more and more people along the way. We eventually got pulled over by the police, there was lots of confusion with one of the little old ladies at the front asking if anyone had $5 to give to the police, the ticket guy on the bus settled the bribe and we were able to go on our way. A little while later we again got pulled over by some different police who wouldn't accept a bribe. They escorted the bus to the edge of Gualaceo and kicked everyone off the bus. It was all a little strange but we got to where we wanted to be.

I have been saying for a while that I needed a haircut but each time I had the opportunity I would chicken out and not get it done. Finally in Cuenca I walked into a hairdresser and asked for a cut. I'm not sure what qualifications they had if any as there
didn't seem to be any technique other than grab a bunch on hair and cut, then look at it and try to make it somewhat even. In much of South America the women all have long hair so when I said that it wasn't short enough I was given a bit of a funny look before they proceeded at hacking off a bit more. In the end it was OK but another one will be needed soon as it still wasn't cut short enough.

Next stop Guayaquil for our flight to the Galapagos islands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement




Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb