Home, hats and helados!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
April 30th 2007
Published: April 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yes, we spent ANOTHER weekend in Cuenca this weekend as Lyn, the representative from GAP came and visited us. That´s a whole two weekends I´ve now spent here since we arrived! Crazy!

So, once again we got Friday morning off because all the disabled schools in Cuenca have a big meal..we found out how much our school loved us as we didn´t get invited and Sophie G did..! *Sniff sniff* To cheer us up, Kat and i went shopping..! After a lovely walk to the ice cream shop, along the river and around Cuenca, we went to the Panama hat shop! (although technically they are not Panama hats at all, they are an Ecuadorian invention). They're either sombrero de paja toquilla (toquilla straw-hat) or Montecristis named after the most famous hat making town in Ecuador. (Thanks Kat!) Got a bit distracted by this and spent 45 minutes trying them on..my particular favourite being a Speedy Gonzalez one, which was clearly the hottest one in the place..Kats being a giant mushroom hat that made her look like some kind of fungal infection..in the end we were very sensible and Kat got one that made her look like something out of an Agatha Christie novel (appologies for the spelling!) and I got two..a mafia trilby and a summers day wedding hat..incredibly cool. And yes, I am going to be awful and wear them in England and be an awful traveller as I think I look cool and there actually very sensible.

Kat and I then managed to end up leaving Cuenca on a bus bound to the CENSO office..ended up in Suyusi, 7KM outside Cuenca and half way to Cajas..seriously, only us..there was no roundabout! I swear there wasn´t! All good fun anyway, and now we know how to get to Jack´s house! After all this malarky we ended up with a stamped signed piece of paper that any self righteous Ecuadorian will just laugh at and instructions to return in 15 days to get real cards with photo´s and everything!! Fun times!

Went to visit Lyn for a bit, and picked up my beloved debit card that got stolen, and then hopped on a bus to the Mall del Rio to go bowling!! Managed to buy some socks for the very reasonable 35c! Will be going back to collect some more lovely nylon creations soon! I full on lost at bowling and generally embarrassed myself completely, but it was a lot of fun, and was followed by a lovely Italian meal with lovely wine and fun was had by all!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb