Travelling and Trapped


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
August 15th 2015
Published: July 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -0.223151, -78.5127

Today was mostly a very long travel day with an early start to the airport, where we were faced with a delay, meaning we arrived into Quito later than we had planned. On arrival, the immigration process was quite long-winded, joining three different queues to check passports, collect baggage and finally scan our bags and clear customs, so when we finally arrived at our hotel, we were weary and ready for some chilled out time.

Our journey from the airport had taken us past some lovely scenery and into the clean capital city. Ecuador already feels like a more affluent country - the airport facilities being more sanitary and organised than the neighbouring capital of Lima, and from what we have heard speaking to other travellers, we will find the same in the city itself.

When we checked in, we were issued with a note informing us that the previous day, Cotopaxi, one of Ecuador's highest and most active volcanoes had erupted, leaving the city shrouded in a fine, white ash that meant we should avoid going outside. Fortunately, we were at the Hilton and so we made the most of the comfortable rooms, inclusive of blackout blinds and caught up on some rest.

That evening, we met our group, a mixed bunch of ages and nationalities who all, like us, are here for the trip of a lifetime. Then, it was an early night, ready for a 5am start for a flight to the islands.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb