Day 95 - Funny noising frogs.


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
October 5th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Last night - after we'd published yesterday's blog - we had a surreal 'Where are we?' moment as we drank draught beer and ate fish and chips and shepherd's pie in an English pub. Just what the doctor ordered. It had more English people than the average pub in London, and for extra authenticity they even had an Aussie barman. Subtle but effective.

We spent the evening in the company of a lovely Dutch girl who is coming to the end of her 8 months of travel and who gave us plenty of suggestions and advice for the next few weeks of our trip.

Today, as we write this lying under our mosquito net with the jungle chorus creating the ambience, we are two very content travellers experiencing the Amazon jungle.

We travelled 6 hours east from Quito to Tena - capital of the Napo region, which is part of the Amazon basin. The river we can hear pounding below us feeds the Amazon.

We have signed ourselves up to 5 days in the Amazon's primary (ie in its natural state) rainforest. We have not been disappointed so far. Our traditional cabins are 45 minutes out of Tena, with hammocks on the balconies and picture perfect jungle all around.

We walked to a lagoon for an afternoon swim, diving off rocks and messing around in the whitewater. Then we rafted back to our camp on a makeshift raft made of large inner tubes.

Tomorrow we go and explore...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb