Of head colds (la gripa) and flowers


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
July 10th 2013
Published: July 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday started with what was a minor head cold the day before but seemed better and ended with a really nasty evening of coughing etc etc.. In between however was a wonderful tour of Jardin Botanico in the La Carolina district of Quito. Instead of risking a walk and worsening of Mikes cold, we took a taxi north and west of our apartment...very smart idea as the day was a bit cool with very threatening clouds in the sky....it never did rain however.

The Jardin has a wonderful collection of trees and flowers native to Ecuador, including carnivores and spectacular orchids (many of which are protected species) and interesting cacti. We walked for almost 3 hours with a continuous sense of wonder at the colors, shapes and sizes of these incredible plants. For instance, this Bolivian Fuscia, over 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide. The hummingbirds love this one and they are spread out throughout the jardin.

Speaking of hummingbirds...they are many, large/small and of spectacular color. Mike spent an hour trying to photograph one of them sporting a 6 inch tail. What a day to forget the 300 mm lens for the camera. So you won't see one in these photos.

Finally to the center of the visit...the orchid house. We found orchids as small as Katy's little fingernail and as large as Mike's fist. Spectacular. This is not the blooming season for most orchids in the wild but in this house some bloom almost all year. We have never seen this many varieties of orchids anywhere else

The Jardin is about 5 acres and exemplifies the incredible bio diversity of this country. From Western beaches and desert to the Andes mountains, cloud forests and deep river valleys, to the hot and steamy Amazon river jungles. Plants from each biosphere are on display in as natural environment as possible both indoors and out.

Our day ended with yet another trip to super maxi for groceries and a short coffee shop stop before taking a taxi home. More in future blogs on shopping for food and coffee shop culture. Now to take care of Mike's cold, a glass of Chilean wine and to sleep.

Those of you who know us as flower lovers should take heart that we do not know the real names of many of the ones shown here. That would take yet another book to carry for Google is not quite ready for these yet.

Please enjoy the colo


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Inca FlowerInca Flower
Inca Flower

An ancient flower used in Inca Ceremonies
Elephant earsElephant ears
Elephant ears

we try to grow these indoors. This one was almost 8 feet tall and 6 feet across. It is in the outdoor section of the jardin.


11th July 2013

travelblog
So glad you are willing to do the traveling and share the pix with us. Hope your cold is better, Mike.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb