4th day in Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
July 6th 2013
Published: July 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kate 1/3 of way upKate 1/3 of way upKate 1/3 of way up

This is Kate on her second round up this AM
After 4 days in Quito we think we are almost acclimated to the altitude. Quito is 9300 feet elevation and we are about 1000 feet above the city in New Town (that's vs Old Town). Our 300 meter walk from our apartment to where we begin the 4 K trek into City Center is about a 9% grade slipping to 6% about 2/3 of the way up. A great way to work of breakfast. We have posted 2 photos of Kate making a return trip from the apartment after forgetting our water.

Yesterday we headed out on our first tourist walk. After about an hour of up and down hills with significant grades we entered the Historic district. Mike was amazed that the central square was almost a copy of the one he visited last year In Antigua Guatemala. The square was busy as usual and exceptionally beautiful. This reputed by the World Heritage folks to be the least renovated and most typical of all the colonial sites in the Americas. It was one of two sites that were the first receivers of World Heritage status in the 1970's. The other was Krakow. A few photos will tell the rest.

After a nice lunch in a small cafe (Mike ate Seco de Chivo -Goat stew) we turned to head home via the supermarket and, lo and behold, the thunderstorm hit with a vengence. Our "walk" to the bus stop was a real drench-er, even with our waterproof stuff on. After the first bus we still had to walk a couple K to the market. Estabamos muy cansado ...we were pooped. Took a taxi the rest of the way and crashed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Arch at RoquefuerteThe Arch at Roquefuerte
The Arch at Roquefuerte

The buildings on the sides of the street are very old homes still lived in by Quitenos


6th July 2013

6-9% grade
I remember a story in a science mag from many years ago regarding a study of 3 cultures where humans had long life-spans. Andes, Caucasus, and perhaps Japan. Scientists measured everything: food, # of children, blood types, education, water, sun exposure, labor, lifestyles. Nothing correlated. For example, one culture was mostly vegetarian, another mostly carnivorous. After eliminating the planned factors in the study the scientists realized that in all 3 locales the people during a normal day experienced, by foot, considerable elevation changes.
7th July 2013

Interesting you should say that
Over the past 9-10 years, arthritis in my hands, back,shoulders etc has grown steadily more painful. The worst has been in AZ where I had assumed the dry heat climate would at least reduce the pain. I have been here less than a week and I have not experienced a single pain. Mornings have always been the worst and now I wake up and feel just fine.I'm gonna pay lots of attention over the next weeks. Based on your memory of the study, I will make sure I keep up walking to and around town daily. Ciao Mike
6th July 2013

Beautiful!
What an adventure. Looks like a wonderful city. Can't wait to hear more.
7th July 2013

Adventure
And our age (Mike 72 and Kate 1 month from being 70) it best not be our last.
6th July 2013

fast fingers
so you guys are off adventuring again. We are entering a new phase too. Sold the house in Boulder Creek -- still adjusting. We'll let you guys do the trekking. Thanks for the travelog.
7th July 2013

Travel
This is a great way to share your experience. My traveling has been less impressive-10 days in New England. Saw the North Church in Boston-one if by land,two if by sea. Very prominent in height even today. Stay healthy! Ken
10th July 2013

ENVY
Pat and I are enjoying the Shakespeare festival, but would like to trade weather conditions with you. We arrived just in time to experience the worst heat wave in recent memory -100+temps. Glad your enjoying your trip. With all the hiking up and down both of you should be in great physical condition.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb