El Mitad del Mundo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
February 14th 2011
Published: February 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After the first week of work Maria and I decided to make our first excursion. Destination: El Mitad del Mundo (The Middle of the World).
First we went to the Museo Etnográfico Mitad del Mundo. Here we disoverd, that eating a guinea pig is damn expensive! One little pig costs you about 25$! Guess I have to wait for a special occasion to eat one of these. Most important one can find here a ca. 30m huge monument which shall be exactly on the ecuatorian line. However the whole attractions were built a little bit on the wrong place. Since mankind has GPS we know that the actual ecuatorian line is ca. 240m further in the north.
One really lucky guy once bought exactly in that area a indigeno house in order to make it to a museum. I think the house itself could be interesting aswell, however due to the new calculation of the real ecuatorian line his property must have increased its value about 1000000 times. Actually he still made it a museum, but now it's the "Inti ñan museum" (the real ecuator museum).
It's really interesting how much influence the Coreolis effect has on the real ecat this area. The line is just about 20cm wide and here one can balance eggs on the head of nail or if one releases water out of a sink, the water disappears without a spin. Two meters further in the south we have right turned spin and two more in the north it's left turned! (Could also be the other way around...)
Additionally it's pretty hard to walk with your arms spread and eyes closed exactly on the line, as the gravity pulls you here in two different directions.

So despite the more or less rainy weather we both really enjoyed our first excursion on this new continent.
Others will follow!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb