carrying lions was crazy stuff!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
April 27th 2006
Published: April 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have been really busy and things are starting to come to an end with only 20 days left in Ecuador.
The circus lions finally got into their new cage! The cage that we built for the bears was not quite what they needed but it turned out to be perfect for the lions from the circus. We had to raise money to sedate them first and then we called the vet when we had enough money. The lions were sedated and then we carried them to their new home where they had a huge cow waiting for them when they woke up. It was the most amazing feeling. How many people can say that they carried a lion or even kiss a lion? I had to give it a little kiss on the head just for good luck on getting through the sedation meds. The next day was a bit of excitement as well. When we went down to check on the lions they were so happy and just sun bathing. It was probably the first time that they had ever experienced laying in grass or having running water or even a whole cow for them to eat. It is an amazing feeling just knowing that we helped in their new experience, their new life.
Later that afternoon when we were doing the regular cleaning, the real excitement came about. I was cleaning with another girl and she had a little accident with one of the cage doors and it made a little cut on her head but it still bled a lot. When we got to the cabeza de mates cage they both went nuts. I did everything as normal but the male freaked out and attacked me. I tried everything to get him off but it just would not come off. It hurt so bad because he was biting right through my boots and then he started getting higher up my leg. Finally, one of the other girls came over and trapped his head in between her boots and she had to hop over and toss him into his cage. I am not sure if it was the blood or if he was just in one of the moods that he gets into. Leon said that there is nothing he loves more than rubber boots, so that had something to do with it too. I have about 15 little bites all up and down my legs and a few black and blue bruises but nothing too bad.
We found out that out of the 6 female lions that we have 3 are now pregnant!
We have a new ocelot that is so small it is no bigger than a house cat!
Taylor, one of the dobermans, had 8 puppies last monday!
I think that is just about it! It has been crazy! cheers*

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb