Republic of the Equator


Advertisement
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
June 8th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Middle of the world There are few cities that can match Quito in terms of location. Drive a few hours to the west and you reach Ecuador's beaches, while the fascinating jungle landscapes are close by in the east. If it's mountains and volcanoes you want, well, they're practically on your doorstep as the city is surrounded by them; including the world's highest active volcano, Cotopaxi, only 1.5 h... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Balancing an egg on the equatorBalancing an egg on the equator
Balancing an egg on the equator

Taking advantage of the zero Coriolis force at the Equator, I managed to balance an egg on a nail. They even gave me a certificate for it!
Illiniza Norte and SurIlliniza Norte and Sur
Illiniza Norte and Sur

A nice view of two of Ecuador's 5000 plus volcanoes (there are only 10 in all), Illiniza Norte (right) and Illiniza Sur (left).
Ruminahui & CotopaxiRuminahui & Cotopaxi
Ruminahui & Cotopaxi

The snow covered Cotopaxi is Ecuador's second highest peak and the world's highest active volcano.
Hiking to CorazonHiking to Corazon
Hiking to Corazon

Approaching the summit of Volcan Corazon.
Expresso in the Mariscal Expresso in the Mariscal
Expresso in the Mariscal

The Mariscal Sucre is like no where else in Quito (or Ecuador). Full of western style cafes, restaurants and hotels, it's very popular with visitors to Quito.
Mysterious sign in QuitoMysterious sign in Quito
Mysterious sign in Quito

Does it mean don't sit down with one knee bent? Or what??
Vivariam ViperVivariam Viper
Vivariam Viper

Apparently this one is harmless. I'm still glad he was behind a cage.



28th June 2008

Wonderful memories
Hello again, I'm glad you found the 'real equator'. The array of games there was worth the price of admission. I agree with you about the safety in Quito. I was there in 2005.There were two of us- both women in our 60's. There was a huge tourist police presence( complete with dogs) around the center and most crosswalks. We used all the normal precautions as one would in any big city in the world. We never felt unsafe or threatened. We used the public buses around town and to outlying villages. Fellow passengers were all Ecuadorians and were most friendly, helpful, and kind. Being able to speak even a little Spanish goes a long way. Thanks for your kind message. Where do you go next? If you fly to Lima or La Paz be sure and have a window seat. I remember that as the most specatcular plane ride ever! Carolyn ( blogger name 'gunga')
28th June 2008

another great post!
You guys seem to be spending a lot of time in Ecuador. I can see why. I keep hearing all these highest active volcano claims... and with some research, the answer is... a different claim from every different website! However it seems Sabancaya Volcano in Peru (5,976 m) last erupted in 2003, and erupted for 8 years in the 1990's- making it the highest active Volcano. Ojos del Salado(6,893 metres) in Chile/Arg is frequently said to be the highest, but it hasnt been proven to have actually erupted anything more than fumarole activity in over 1300 years. Llullaillaco (6,739 metres) in Chile/Arg also is said to be #2 behind Ojos del Salado, but it too hasnt erupted for a long time, since 1877! Regardless, Ecuador kicks ass and comparing the volcanos of the southern andes deserts to those of Ecuador is shamefull- the ones in Ecuador are much more dramatic!!
30th June 2008

Keep them coming!
We are still in awe of your continuing journey. Keep on keeping us informed! Hope to see you some time after your adventure ends.
2nd July 2008

Can't wait!
I'm especially enjoying your Ecuador blogs and can't wait to see it for myself! I'd wondered if all the equator stuff might be a bit gimmicky but I guess from what you say here it's well worth a visit.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb