Rucu Pichincha


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Papallacta
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry that I did not continue with the weekend, but the Galapagos Islands are bit more important 😉
Soo, last sunday I decided to have a look on Quito.
The so called Teleferico is a lift on the outside of Quito which starts at 2850m and brings one for 4.90$ to the Cruz Loma plateau (4050m). From here one could have a nice view on the city, if there were no clouds. In my case the weather changed typically rapidly, because in the morning there was blue sky which was the reason for me to go there, but when I arrived on the top around 10am the view was gone. View barely 100m.
However it's possible to do a 3hrs hike to the summit of Rucu Pichincha (4627m).
So to have at least something for my money I started with the hike. On the way I met Ben, a guy from Alaska who is also in Ecuador for his studies. We continued our hike which at some points got pretty exhausting due to very soft underground. One step ahead, half step slide back...
Nevertheless we reached the summit after 2 1/2hrs and had no view at all. (See photos)
Though we were lucky, because during our break on the top the weather cleared up a bit and we could see the sourroundings and Quito in far distance in the end, too.
The hike was worth it.
In the evening we made ourselfes some sandwiches in Bens Hostel and as a nice ending of the day, the owner/ big Mama (she cares about everyone of her guests), made us some nice kakao 😊
So that was my weekend.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



1st March 2011
P1000521

Nice
Nice pics dude :)

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb