Quito, Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Historical Center
March 18th 2012
Published: March 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 11th March - Otavalo to Quito



Our host at the Hostal Rincon had been a lovely Ecuadorian man who we later found out was called Edgar after we read a disparaging review about him on trip advisor where a woman travelling alone had remarked he was a little over familiar with her. I couldn't have disagreed more as we were both very fond of him, especially after he tried to serenade us with his guitar playing. After a bus ride of 2 hours and we were in Quito, the capital and I'd completely forgotten that on our trip we had passed the centre of the earth and yet no sign of Doug McClure? On the city buses into the centre of town it was refreshing to meet 2 australian girls who pointed us in the right direction and weren't complete arses like most others from that neck of the woods. We headed for the Mariscal district to find a hostel and were greeted by what is a mini-backpackers community with a hostel, bar and restaurant on every street corner. We'd read reviews about a Japanese run hostel that sounded good but on arrival there wasn't one in sight, false advertising but alright place anyhow.



Monday 12th March - Quito



Having bought some really nice clothes made of alpaca in Otavalo, Stacie was obviosuly keen and anxious to send it all home. Having read some dubious reviews about the national post and some clerks tendency to pocket the cash as you walked out the door, we didn't have much choice so off we went to send it anyway. Now 40 bucks lighter for the pleasure we were pleased to find out later on the internet that they have at least logged our package..... Unfortunately no presents for Clark in there 😊 Next stop was Teleferico where they've built the worlds 2nd highest cable car on the side of the city to take you up to a height of 4100m to get a nice view. We sat with Carlos and family on both the way up and down and can now safely say we're both even more impressed with Ecuadorians than we were with Colombians who seem to have a little less edge than the latter. Back down the mountain and onto Quito's public bus network to get into the old town. A 15 minute ride at the cost of about 15p, cheap at twice the price. Quito's old town was nominated as the world's 1st UNESCO world heritage site and very nice indeed it was too.



Tuesday 13th March - Quito



Having successfully posted our contraband yesterday we went in search of Quito's Artesan markets to buy some more product to ship out. Unfortunately though the prices were a bit higher than in Otavalo and after the 1st grease ball scoffed at my paltry offer for some pictures, we quickly realised we were all bartered out. Off we went instead to relax in one of the many parks in Quito. Followed up with another trip into the Old Town and we attempted to get into the Presidential Palace for a tour but were refused entry for not having ID. Knackered after yet another poor nights sleep, we headed for home but not before stopping for the 2nd day running at our new favourite curry house the Chandani. Curries are not easy to come by in America and these had been our 1st of the trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th March 2012

Alpaca Produce
Again great to read Peter, so pleased you are at least meeting some nice people. Fingers crossed for the parcel, no sign yet!!!!!!!! Carry on living the dream & eating Curry.

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb