Onwards to Otavalo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
December 10th 2015
Published: December 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Otavalo exhausted by the bus ride but excited for the markets on the following day. We quickly found accomodation in supurb hotel with a stunning view of the surrounding volcanic formed mountains. After a short rest we eagerly ventured out into Otavalo eager to get a feel for this well known town. We enjoyed some outstanding mexican food, discovered where the local panderia's were. Important information as fresh bread has quickly become our favoured breakfast when on the go. We walked through the market area full of questions about exactly what these famed markets would be like. We realised the following morning that our imaginings could not possibly have prepared us for the chaotic fiesta of the market.

We hesitantly ventured out into the neighbouring street to our hotel which had almost by magic filled with all manner of stores. The colours of clothing and art work and fruit and vegetables and all sorts of hot and cold foods was dizzying. We did not know what had hit us and nothing could prepare us for the enthusiasm of the vendors. My advice about Otavalo is that if you are dreadful at bargaining you better have a LOT of US Dollars to get you through the day because vendors do capitalism like nobody I have ever seen before! We managed to land ourselves some wonderful items including a beautiful green poncho made of llama wool, a traditional top and belt. We were spoiled with incredible food which i feel is completely okay because of the many kilometres we walked that day. From dawn to dusk we wandered the markets in our quest for the perfect items.

As night fell some stalls closed and were replaced with vendors selling outstanding street food. As we enjoyed our food we conversed with a local, Rafael about the days adventures and his beautiful country. After walking a couple of metres from the street vendors we turned back to see fireworks being set up. We stood and watched entranced as fireworks shot into a clear night sky studded with stars.

Otavalo is this incredible mixture of intimidating capitalism, incredible scenery, friendly locals and outstanding street food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The MarketThe Market
The Market

this isn't even half of it


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb