Arrival in Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
August 26th 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived safely in Quito, Ecuador´s capital after a short transit flight into Panama. We passed the swineflu check at immigration and had a pleasant surprise as our bags also arrived. We had a lovely room in the loft at our Hotel with just the 4 beds and after settling in we caught the local trolley bus to the historic centre for some sightseeing. After all our fears about safety, its was no different to Commercial Rd at lunchtimes (well maybe a bit safer)!

Now in Otavalo, a town in the mountains, with our tutor after a rather crazy bus journey from Quito. We went sightseeing in the morning with our tutor and then have 4 hours of lessons in the afternoon. The group is only David and I so its quite intensive and we speak Spanish with the tutor from breakfast time until after our dinner together.

Some errors with our Spanish so far have been telling our tutor David is 500 years old (no comment), Andrew´s dad died at the age of 14 (well it was Bristol), that he had a man instead of he was hungry (not sure that was a mistake!) and that the bus was going to "chicken breast" instead of waterfalls with a similar name. At this rate we will be fluent just in time to fly back to England!

We have now been to the middle of the world (La Mitad del Mundo) or the equator to us. It was fascinating being able to cross between the northern or southern hemisphere with one step and do the experiments with water and balancing an egg on a nail. David was able to do this so he got a certificate for being the "egg master"!

In our foolishness our tour included a trip to Cotapaxi mountain (its very beautiful so why not?). Well we then hiked up to the Refugio (refuge hut) at 4,800m or a height of 16,000 feet - it was freezing cold and blowing a gale and by the time we battled with the altitude and got to the top David was fit to drop dead. We decided to not continue to the summit - it only takes 6-8 hours to climb the final 1km! After a necessary hot chocolate we made the descent with our guide and collapsed exhausted in the jeep. So for all of you that imagine we are slobbing about on a beach being waited on hand, foot and finger think again - the programme has been organised by Zahra Tours after all!

Not learning our lesson the following day we hiked down to the base of a crater called Quitoloa but sensibly hired mules for our return to the top. Whilst a much more relaxing return it was pretty nerve racking being thrust along the edge of paths with only a stubborn mule (not David) to stop us tumbling back down! Andrew made friends with the guide for his mule - Ruben aged 10 - who was so small and tired by the trip that Andrew felt like getting off and offering the mule to him instead! Their simple and poor existence is a very humbling experience.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th August 2009

Hola
Hello my lovelies, Glad to hear you have arrived safely in South America and the spanish is improving. Before you know it , you will be wearing a poncho and hat. Look forward to the next adventures or Frank and Stan...... Buena suerte y adios xx
28th August 2009

Hey there Frank and Stan
Very funny blog! Great to keep up with what you've been up to, Darrell and I are in bed reading up! Keep em coming and have a great time! Love Gilly x
2nd September 2009

Hola Amigoes
Lovely to hear from you both and having such a wonderful time, keep the news coming. Que se divierta xx
8th September 2009

Hi chaps. Can't wait to hear about your adventures when you reach Magaluf!
13th September 2009

fab ola...
hiya boys all looks very colourful and fab, will have to come and see the full photos xxx
16th September 2009

Next Chapter
Hello to you both, Glad you are enjoying your adventures although, I cannot see any further updates on the blog since 26 Aug when you arrived in Otavalo. All is dull in the land of the Reeds although we are off to North Devon in October for a little walking. Work is ok, keeping my head above water and Wayne is so stressed due to pressures at work, he keeps catching Tonsillitis. Wayne's birthday is at the end of the month and I have bought tickets to see The Sound of Music with Conni Fisher. Speak soon. Claire x. PS Received your private email that you sent

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb