Equador - Quito - Mitad del Mundo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
December 13th 2009
Published: December 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

13 Dec - Middle of the World!!!!!!!

- Woke up again around 6am (nice - Alice snoring lol). We heard about this place that you go to which is about 1.5hrs by bus outside Quito which is where the exact equator is (monument and all).

- Cost about $2 for the transport and we got there about 9.30am and looked around. Funny story the massive monument there actually was built in the wrong spot by about 100m hahaha very funny. Heaps of singing on the Sundays and loads of museum stuff about Equador etc - really interesting.

- Went out of main monument area and walked up the road to a little Museum called Museo Solar Inti Nan which is all on the sun / equator stuff - absolutely must do, really interesting. You know how we all said when growing up because the water goes 1 way in the North Hemisphere and the other in the South, does it just fall in the plug hole on the equatore - well the answer is ´yes´ and it changes even 1 foot off the equator - bloody amazing stuff. Check out the video.

- Once we controlled the amazing and awe struck feeling that we were having we went up to edge of a volcano literally about 10min drive from Mitad del Mundo and looked down over the crater edge and believe it or not there is about 50 families living in there growing various crops - amazing.

- Then made it home safe and sound - had some dinner and went to bed.

BEST DAY YET


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb