Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
October 27th 2007
Published: October 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just coming to the end of three days in Quito - we are about to head off for the Amazon basin. Quito has been an interesting introduction to South America - an armed guard outside the hotel, people jumping on and off buses at street corners (they don´t stop just slow down), crowded markets, streetside foodstalls, colourful buildings made out of concrete which you are convinced have´t been finished. The people are very laid back and friendly although my communication with them is mostly through smiling, shrugs of the shoulders and pointing. You would never believe that I had a (part) language degree!

Ín the past couple of days were seen most of the old town (which is a UNESCO heritage site), the statue of the Virgin on one of the hills (think Rio but smaller) and travelled to the equator - well actually to a proud French monument that sits a few hundred metres away from the equator. What makes it better is that the indigenous people´s monuments sit perfectly on the line. Still the French make better cheese. And I got a number of stupid photos hopping over the line between the hemespheres.

Have started to meet the group that I´ll be travelling with - they all seem like they´ll be decent company but there are 26 of us going up to 34 in Peru. It might be a bit crowded on our tour bus.

We´re off out tonight on our get to know you meal to the international quarter. Apparently, in the bars the locals attempt to pull a gringo (foreigner). As you all know I´ve never been a good sport so I´ll probably sit in a corner being difficult.

Finally a quick mention of the food. Its quite simple - mostly chicken, pork or beef with rice, potatoes and beans (yes all three in some meals) - and very pleantiful. I don´t expect to waste away anytime soon.

El Conquistador






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb