Mindo and Otavalo


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mindo
January 28th 2010
Published: January 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

ChickensChickensChickens

Mindo Family
The timeline...

Mindo: January 12-15

Otavalo: January 15-19

From the Ecuadorian coast we sadly departed from the beautiful beaches and headed towards the north/central highlands...
A 7 hr night bus was preceded by Pizza and Cocktails by the beach...well, we needed to sweeten the pot just a little for this mission!

A relaxing time in the Cloudforests around Mindo was followed by four days of exploring the area around Otavalo, in the Highlands just to the north of Quito...

MINDO



Mindo, a quiet rural town in the mountains 2 hrs to the West of Quito is home to some of Ecuadors finest birds and aventurous activities. Its just $2.50 from Quito so it makes a great place to visit for many city dwellers. We enjoyed the food there, served and prepared by locals with heart in traditional Ecuadorian fashion. You can enjoy Almuerzos (lunch set meal) and Meriendas (dinner set meal) for around $2.50-$3.00 pp. Cheap, solid food!

We enjoyed the river rafting immensely on our first morning there - what a good laugh we had! About 8 inner large tubes are fashioned together by rope as we sit atop them and two very

Choco-Boy Choco-Boy Choco-Boy

His parents run a little cafe which we liked very much: Choco-arte
experienced young guides steer us down river for about 25 ninutes. We have to be steered around larger rocks jutting out of these level 1 rapids (not big at all! but fun). The best part is these guides waist deep in the river in gumboots and jeans. I have to hand it to these guys...they work for it!

That evening we took a taxi up to a quiet rufuge in the forest where several feeders attract many many colourful and beautiful species of hummingbirds. These little ones are buzzing and flying around our heads at less than a foots distance. It was Joyous!
Upon our arrival back at the tour centre we met a man from Holland who wished to go birdwatching in teh cloudforest the following day. Three made for a cheaper tour so we were in.

The following morning we awoke at 4! in the dark to hike into teh forest and await the birds, some really rare and beautiful were expected..and we were joined by several "hardcore birders" from the US and abroad. Unfortunately we didn't really see the famed "Cock of the Rock" but we did see around 7 other lovely native Aves. The
FlutterbyFlutterbyFlutterby

with clear wings...neat
tour was long but well worth it, and witnessing two native Ecuadoian guides perform their birdcalls and feed these birds to attract them was very enriching. Love to see people so full of a pure passion for what they do.
We followed up the tour at 11 with breakfast...famished! We had freshly cooked Bolons...which are fried pastries in the shape of ball, filled with chicken and some veggies. The flour is from corn. Coffee and Juice!
Good times.
A hike in the afternoon through local lowlands (well, at 1500 m).

On our last morning we took a rustic touristy bus up a hill, then hiked down several hundred metres to see some waterfalls and dip into some icey waters. The highlight may have been the slide!!...that plunged you into these waters in a canyon a few metres below. We are really finding some fun and inexpensive activities in Ecuador.

OTAVALO



After three days of chill times in Mindo we were off to the Market city of Otavalo, two hours from Quito in the Northern Sierras. This is the town, famed for the handicrafts and weavings of the local peoples. The indigenous here have been at this for

centuries and now, with exporting, etc, are quite wealthy an dproud of their work. The main market day is Saturday and the town is essentially one big vending zone, aisle after aisle, street upon street. The tourist industry here has been cleaning up for many years, food is a bit pricier and lodging is everywhere.
We had a great time wandering the market and even haggling a bit for items..which is expected.

The next day we checked out the town of Cotocatchi, 25 mins. north. Leathertown. We spent the afternoon exploring store after store filled with the same leather goods...well, they were pretty similar, as stores go in South America..., except for a few of slighty higher calibre. Rick fell in Love with a leather jacket, but sadly had to part as the price was a bit too high. Next time.

We arranged a horseback trip to the Crater Lake Cuicocha the next day. It took around 3.5 hours up and the same to return. We were a bit sore but suprizingly not as much as anticipated. The lake was nice, he journey was great. We travelled from the city through city streets across a highway! then onto cobblestone roads before reaching the common trail to the lake.
As I write this we are planning to ride again tomorrow, this time around the Paramo of Volcan Chiborrazo and with our fearless companion Jules, who is currently traveling alongside (from Vancouver and our good friend).

Another stop at the market before we left Otavalo and our time here feels very complete. Next, we are off to the big city: Quito...but only for a couple of days enroute and to see it as we are really and truly diggin these smaller locales!!








Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

ToucanetteToucanette
Toucanette

This bird is so cool...hopping around the branches


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb