Day trip to Mindo (the Cloud Forest) - 9th Feb


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The phrase cloud-forest conjures up an image of lush green vegetation covered in rolling mist, with an ever-present sound of running water in the background like something out a Livingston adventure. This is EXACTLY how it really is. Add in a crazy ride across a 1000ft tree-covered valley in an open cage suspended by wire (one of the least safe contraptions that we have ever seen), and it really felt like we were in an Indy movie.

Not exactly the safest form of transport!
After a two hour trek through this landscape, we cooled off under a beautiful waterfall. Although, getting soaking wet wasn’t the best plan for the 2 hour walk back!

Despite it literally raining men, Katie is just not interested.
Not content with the danger of the sheer drops along the side of the narrow path through the forest, we decided to risk life and limb and went on what the locals affectionately call “tubing”. Health and safety in our country would have called it grand negligence on the part of the tour operator. Essentially, they tied six rubber rings together, strapped us to them (well, we hung on for dear life) and threw us down some very rocky white water rapids. Our only warning of rock, submersion in the water or a stray branch was the call of “Fuerte!” (literally “strong”) at which we were meant to hold on especially tight (or suffer death by rocks I guess)!

Fuerte!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb