Galapagos Islands


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
July 25th 2012
Published: July 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well, what a wonderful few days we have just had, cruising and exploring some of the Galapagos Islands. We sailed on the Coral 1 with 21 other people from various countries. Our days were filled a great balance of activities and relaxation. The morning was spent leisurely hiking for a couple of hours discovering the amazing variety of animal and bird life that inhabits these islands, all living in close proximity to each other and seemingly unconcerned with the tourists as you could get up close and personal for many great photos. Our first sightings were the large land tortoises from which the islands get their name and can live up to 200 years so Lonesome George, who just died was just a youngster! Sea lions were seen lounging on the beach, over rocks further inland and even on the lower deck of our boat last night! Birds were profilic in both number and variety - frigates, swallow tailed gulls, various types of finches (e.g. Darwin finch and cactus finch), blue footed boobies and even pink flamingoes all the way from the Carribean! It was mating and nesting time so we saw frigates puffing out their red chest in order to attract the female and boobies doing mating dances and both seen sitting on eggs and new born chicks in barren open areas. And of course, there were the iguanas, both marine and land, seen clinging to rock faces and basking in the sun having scaled vertical cliffs after hunting in the ocean below. Not the prettiest of animals but well adated amphibians.

Part of our morning activities was a snorking session in deep water along the shore lines of the islands. Wow! Great swimming in crystal clear water through schools of brightly coloured fish. Hoped to swim with a sea lion but that didn't occur but managed to see a turtle and Manta Ray gliding along the sea bottom. Lunch back on board the boat and then it was of course seista time on the moon deck as the frigates circled above. Late afternoon and off to another island for further discoveries of the wonders of the Galapagos! After dinner, socialising with the rest of the group finshed the day off beautifuuly ready for it all to start again the next day.

Back in Quito to catch our breath, literally due to the altitude, before catching a flight to Lima tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th July 2012

OMG!
Mum!!! What is that picture... I haven't laughed that hard in ages!
26th July 2012

OMG!
Mum!!! What is that picture... I haven't laughed that hard in ages!
26th July 2012

CUTE photo :)
Love you both :) Love the photo of mum...don't look a day over 21 :) Looks amazing...still very jealous whilst I sit here staring at the brown Brisbane river. Love Ab xoxo
26th July 2012

Wow!
I'm glad you put a picture because I was wondering what it was and whether it was just in reference to mum's blue flippers! Looks amazing and am very jealous of all the wildlife you got to see. Hope the birthday was enjoyable too xx
26th July 2012

the trip so far
Have been enjoying reading your adventures - time is passing quite quickly thinking of you
28th July 2012

Hi from Barham
Hi Sue & Henry, Great to hear more news all seems a bit surreal from here. I was wondering what the outcome of your hair dilemma was but I see from the photo you didn't go for short. Continue to enjoy your wonderful holiday. Love Kaye
29th July 2012

What a fine figure!
Hi Sue and Henry Were you trying to attract one of those 'hot' iguanas in your snorkelling gear? Have a wonderful time!!
29th July 2012

What a fine Figure
No, but the "Hotel" manager on the boat was pretty "hot"!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb