In the Footsteps of Darwin


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
April 10th 2010
Published: April 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Greetings All

Here is part one of our blog of the Amazing Galapagos Islands. (part 2 the underwater world to follow) There are around 80 photo´s which is a lot but they are all different so try and look at them all

After a 4 hour flight from Quitto we arrived at the Galapagos and transfered to our home for the next 8 days the luxury catamaran, Nemo 2. We got a great last minute deal on the boat which allowed us to get away from the backpacker boats and go on a luxury class boat. After transferring from the airport to the Nemo we quickly set sail and began our 8 day adventure. The intinary for this trip meant that we would have 2 different shore landings each day at different stops around the archipelagos as well 2 different underwater experiences each day. We did most of the sailing in the evening which allowed us to visit the outer reaches of the islands and meant that the daylight could be spent seeing all the amazing wildlife on the islands.

When we were not on the islands or in the water our time on board the Nemo was spent relaxing on the sun loungers on deck sipping cold drinks and admiring the stunning scenery of the crystal clear waters and pristine beaches that make up the Galapagos. This view was particularly impressive when we did a short sail during the day cruising along just by the sails. If we were not sat on sun loungers we would be on the downstairs deck eating some of the copious amounts of food that was prepared for us throughout the day. Evenings were very quiet with the main activity being star gazing on deck.

Most of the islands are uninhabited so you got a real feeling of isolation on the shore visits with just the weird and wonderful indigenous creatures to keep you company. The only inhabited island we visited was the main island which houses the Charles Darwin Research centre, home to the Galapagos most famous resident lonesome George, the last remaining Giant Tortoise of his species (although there are 7 other species on various islands)

The Variety of wildlife is what really makes the Galapagos special and most of it is endemic to just that island, which is where Darwin got his ideas for evolution from. Each islands wildlife was slightly different to the next one with different species of reptiles and birds found on each. The highlights of this were the amazing marine iguanas which evolved from the land iguanas still found on other islands, as well as the giant tortoise which are distinctly different on each island. The birdlife is spectacular as well with the curious looking blue footed boobies and frigate birds with their inflatable red pouch as well as countless other species.

Most of the islands had incredible friendly colonies of Galapagos sea lions, fur seals and penguins on them, which were so friendly they would walk right up to you and allow you to sit down with them like you were part of the family. Because of the minimal impact by man on the islands all the wildlife has no fear of man and you have to be really careful with each footstep that you don’t stand on anything as the animals are happy to just lay in your path and wont move even when you step right over them.

Our time spent on the Galapagos was a truly amazing experience that did not disappoint in the slightest and were worth the time and effort that you need to make to get out to them and see them properly. The mixture of the islands, flora and fauna, the underwater world and the chance to spend our time on a beautiful catamaran made this an incredible trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



30th April 2010

Poor George
I love Giant Tortoises - was George picture 1? Picture 1 was very cute
1st May 2010

Hello There are no photos of george on the blog as he was hiding under a bush most of the time we were there

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 18; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb