Trip around the Islands with TV Espana and TV Mexico


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After traveling around the Islands for over a week I finally got back "home" to Puerto Ayora. Beginning of September 2 guys from Mexico and 1 from Spain arrived on the Galapagos Islands. They were filming documentary about the Islands and their people, it is a cooperation with the Chamber of tourism of Santa Cruz. So I had the pleasure to travel around with them for over a week. We first went to Isabela where we stayed 2 days. the days were full of work, we left the hotel at 6am and came back at 11pm. On Isabela we all went to the Volcano Sierra Negra and the guys were filming all the time. I could experience the real atmosphere of filming a documentary, I also was part of it sometimes as an assistant, holding an umbrella or the microphone. We interviewed lots of people, it was very interesting, also for me, as I know the Islands as a tourist and did not have many contact with people from Isabela like fishermen or farmer.

After 2 days of full work in Isabela, hiking, snorkeling etc. we went back to Santa Cruz for a day to get some more interview from important people from the tourism sector. Just one day we stayed in our home base before heading to Floreana. This Island I just know some coastlines but this time we went to the highlands were we saw lots of giant tortoise in the wild, this was kind of impressive, I really liked that. Even thought the weather wasn't always at our side, we still enjoyed the most of it. I have to admit, September is probably the worst season to travel around Galapagos. Only about 200 people live in Floreana, the little town is almost empty, just some children playing in the school and the man who picked us up at the harbor. well, there is no harbor, but kind of...

We really liked Floreana, because of it's tranquility and the beautiful highlands they've got, but I think staying there for more than a day is too much. so we left after a few hours and headed to San Cristobal, last stop before returning to Santa Cruz.

In San Cristobal nothing worked as it was planed. Everybody who promised to take us to a tour, canceled it because they didn't have time or were just too lazy. I would say, San Cristobal is a very pretty town and the landscape is beautiful but the people are lying as hell and the don't know anything about tourism service. So if you ever get to San Cristobal, just try to get on your own and always ask exactly about any tour your booking. I can recommend Chalo tours.

so, in San Cristobal, we went to the Highland as well, visited El Junco a Volcano Crater now a sweat water lake, very beautiful, especially when you walk around the crater you've got a great view over the island. then we tried to go to Puerto Chino, a little beach on the other side of islands, but we didn't have time to do that, so we went back to town and enjoyed filming the local people.
The second day was more like holidays, so we were filming a sightseeing spot called Tijeretas, where you can see the Leon Dormido and some very nice lagoons. It is supposed to be good for snorkeling but I forgot my bathing suit and when we came back in the afternoon, it was already too late, cause sunset is at 6 and it was just too cold for me to get into it.

This was more or less my little trip around the Island, now back in Santa Cruz, the guys are doing some interview and are leaving soon. All in all it was very interesting but also hard work. Now I need some sleep to get again into the Galapagos Rhythm... ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb