life back at the reserve


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
June 14th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

so after a fun four days, we had to go back up to the reserve. something is going around the whole island because many of the volunteers, myself (mindy) included, and a lot of the town have been really sick this week. ryan seems to be immune to whatever it is. i think it was probably an infected shipment of food from the mainland, since so many people have similar symptoms on the island.

so ryan has been doing a lot of work, i´ve been doing a lot of laying around in the hammock reading books and trying to keep food down. for some reason though, my symptoms cleared up for friday´s hike and i was actually able to participate. we walked to the top of the island to see the windmills, which power about half of the island. on the way up we saw wild horses- and the british volunteers said it made them feel like they were in scotland. so i suppose until i make it to scotland, whenever i imagine it, i will always think of the galapagos islands.

i thought i was finally over this thing but sadly, we got down into town, ready to enjoy it, and i got sick again. im feeling better again today- but the only think that i´ve managed to keep down this week has pretty much been a brownie and strawberry smoothie i had this morning.. so maybe ill keep eating those.

i suppose that´s it for now.. ryan is done checking his fantasy teams, and reading various sports webpages and wants to get back out. hopefully, if electricity stays on we can update tomorrow on what we do and get some pictures up from the beach we visited today.

sorry this is short.. but we really wanted to make sure we got some pictures loaded up (which of course takes a while.. and our wallet only has a few dollars staring back at us at the moment).

Advertisement



15th June 2008

Watched your islands on Nat-Geo last night before I got to see the blog for the first time today. Nittany enjoys the air-conditioning back here, but we can't image her running after any wild horses.
16th June 2008

hey
Hi guys, Sounds like your having quite an adventure! And yes it is true, I bought Sommer a puppy for her birthday (Sox). Keep having fun and enjoy your trip!!!
17th June 2008

Wish I was there...
Wow...Ryan and Mindy, it looks like you are really learning the lay of the land and seeing it as villagers versus tourists!! Mindy, sorry to hear you aren't feeling good. Ryan, how are your fantasy teams doing? Thinking of you guys alot. Tim Russert died...very upsetting for me. Buffalo born and bred and a top journalist!! Thanks for the pics and entries...keep them coming!! Can't wait to see you July 4th!! Love, Sal

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb