Galapagos - Day 2


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » South Plaza Island
August 14th 2012
Published: August 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We got up early this morning, ate breakfast, and then had the emergency drill. We then landed on South Plaza Island

South Plaza Island



This skinny Island had beautiful red and green plants growing on it, sort of like our ice plants back home.

There were lots of Sea Lions here, too. The Galapagos Sea Lion originally came from the California Sea Lion, but it is now considered endemic.

We saw many Swallow Tailed Gulls, the only nocturnal gull in the world. It has a bright red ring around its eye, so it is very distinctive.

There were Marine Iguanas everywhere, but we also got to see our first glimpses of Land Iguanas.

There were many birds flying about- Brown Pelicans, Tropic birds, and more Frigatebirds. We even saw a Frigatebird catch another small bird and try to eat it!

The Galapagos Dove has crazy eyeliner-bright blue and has bright orange feet.

We saw many Lava Lizards too. The females have a bright red neck. We were lucky to see two males in a territorial battle, biting eachother and whipping eachother with their tails.

North Seymour



More animals here, plus the Nazca Booby.
Female Galapagos FinchFemale Galapagos FinchFemale Galapagos Finch

Drinking water from a Prickly Pear Cactus


We also got to see Frigate birds nesting. The male Frigatebirds inflate these large red sacks on their necks to get the attention of the females. Competing males will try to pop the other´s balloons, so as to take them out of the running.

But the real treat was snorkeling. Of the whole group, only our family wanted to go, since it was getting late and kind of chilly. But the water was a pleasant 70 degrees and I'm so glad we went.

Snorkeling we saw a sea turtle, a sea lion, a sting ray, and tons of fish that weren't afraid of us at all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lava LizardsLava Lizards
Lava Lizards

Males fighting territorial battle


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb