Enchanted Isles


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Santa Fe Island
November 29th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Prickly Pear CactusPrickly Pear CactusPrickly Pear Cactus

A forest of Prickly Pear Cactus. The trunks of this cacti are unbelievable.
Day 4 - We sailed to Santa Fe Island and arrived early in the morning. Thankfully, the sailing was much smoother than the night before. Santa Fe Island is located in the southeastern part of the Galapagos Islands.

On our way to our morning excursion, we were treated to a swim by of White Tipped Reef Sharks. Totally incredible! It was hard to photograph them from the side of a dinghy.

Our morning excursion, we saw several Land Iguanas. Most of the Land Iguanas I saw were beige to golden in color.

One of my favorites was the Prickly Pear Cactus. I grew up in Arizona so I was use to Prickly Pear Cactus, but I've never seen Prickly Pear Cactus resemble a forest (trunks and all).

Hiking on this island was a bit tricky, the trail was steep, looped, and lots of rocks. I managed to take a fall onto one of the rocks, thankfully, it was on my butt, so I didn't get hurt. It was more of an embarassment to the pride, than a royal pain in the ass!

In the afternoon, we snorkeled around Plaza Sur. On Plaza Sur, there are plenty of Sea Lion bachelors. We saw bones and a skull of a male Sea Lion. He died around the age of 20. Our guide estimated that the bones had been there or 2 years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Forest of CactusForest of Cactus
Forest of Cactus

This island was beautiful with all of the colors!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb