Cooling Off


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Santa Cruz Island
February 11th 2009
Published: February 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a chill out day, after having to wake up at 4:30am to take a boat which stunk of exhaust for 2 hours over some large swell, watching small children and tourists with barf bags make good use of them. Fortunately I have a stomach of steel on the ocean, I am usually squeeling with glee when the boat is sideways. Jill was fine too. We mostly ate amazing food and drinks yesteday. Tamarind sauces, plantain chicken empanadas, coconut smoothies, watermelon juice, fish with seafood cream sauce, a malbec that made our head swoon after one small glass, oooooh yeah. We burn if off with all our running around and whatnot.

Today we went to the Charles Darwin research center and saw Lonesome George, the last living giant land tortoise of his species. He looks pretty lonesome. Apparently a girl from Sweden spent 4 months trying to "retrieve his sperm by hand" without success because he wouldn't let her touch his Johnson. He must prefer brunettes. He's in his 80's, for Christ sake, he's probably embarrased of his old, smaller size. Poor turtle. There are other tortoises too, some of them huge. We also went to another beach 40min away a saw a giant mama ray with 3 babies flopping around in the surf. Pretty cool.

We finally have a break from the sun, which is more intense than I ever imagined out here. We welcome the rain. Tomorrow we hope to go see some giant tortoises in the wild. As for now, we will likely have a beer and watch the crazy child chess tournament going on in the main plaza. People here have some serious smarts.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb