Galapagos - Day 2


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As promised, here is a blog on our 2nd day in the Galapagos. We have a pretty good internet connection here, so there´s a good opportunity to upload photos, which I have done.

We awoke Wednesday morning moored off Española Island. After breakfast, we went for a two hour walk on Punta Suarez, where we saw more sea lions, hundreds of marine iguanas, crabs and sea birds up close. Among the many interesting facts about the wildlife that our guide Roberto provided was this gem: Marine Iguanas can survive drinking salt water - they have glands that remove the salt from the water and they sneeze out the salt. Staying on the path here was critical, as the iguanas were busy digging nests everywhere. Because of their dark colour, and the black volcanic rock, it was hard to spot them, even on the paths. The iguanas are most vulnerable to predation by birds at this time, mostly because they are so tired from digging nests as deep as 1 meter in the sandy soil.

They weren´t the only ones who were tired. There was no cloud cover Wednesday, and the temperature reached 38.5 C by 9am, and pretty much stayed that hot all day. The hike was the toughest part of the day, because for much of the rest of the day we were in and out of the water. At 25 C, it was beautiful.

On the far side of Punta Suarez, we found ourselves on top of a high cliff watching adult seabirds (frigate birds, Pelicans, Nazca and Red footed Boobies) flying around or juveniles walking around waiting to grow enough feathers to be able to fly. Although the season wasn´t right, this is a place where Albatrosses nest. When the young albatroses leave the nest, they don´t return to land for five years when they are mature enough to mate.

In the background, we saw two blow holes below, where fractures in the shoreline rock channeled and concentrated the surf into a geyser-like spray at times up to one hundred feet high. You could tell that a spout was coming by the sound of air rishing out of the hole a few seconds before.

Knowing that we would be absolutely drained after the hike in the heat with no shade, the crew met us with iced tea when we were back on board, followed-up with a swim off the back of the boat.

After lunch, the boat moved to Garner Bay, where we snorkeled along a steep rock wall, following all kinds of colourful fish, starfish and urchins. A playful group of sea lions swam by to check us out, sometimes blasting by us within two feet. Other times the younger sea lions would sort of hover in the water in front of us to get a better look at us. At first, we weren´t sure if Abbey would be able to snorkel on her own in the ocean along the rocks, but she was fine.

Roberto is an excellent guide to the Galapogos. He freelances, working on several different boats. Very entertaining, and with an encyclopedic knowledge of the wildlife. I think the only time we saw him wear those flip flops was in town.

In the late afternoon, we went to a beautiful white sand beach, which we shared with the passengers of a few other boats and about 300 sea lions, all sunning themselves before heading back to the water for the night. Many of the sea lions were quite playful when returning to the water, rocketing along the length of the beach in the strong surf. Standing in the water up to our knees, we had dozens of them pass within two feet of us. Abbey was in her glory.

We again had the opportunity to swim out to a reef to snorkel, and I got really lucky to be around when a big sea turtle came to the surface for air. I was able to swim next to it for a few minutes before he/she decided to go back to the bottom. Nice. Advice to future Galapagos travellers: buy a waterproof camera.

After the beach, it was back to the ship for supper and visiting, and another weak sleep as we navigated to the next island. (Speak for yourself Harold - I slept like a baby being rocked to sleep. Ahhhh....)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Abbey and Harold snorkelingAbbey and Harold snorkeling
Abbey and Harold snorkeling

Looking at this, I´m thinking "Good thing I put sunscreen on my head."
Abbey with our LA friends Justin and HeatherAbbey with our LA friends Justin and Heather
Abbey with our LA friends Justin and Heather

Abbey was a social butterfly on this trip, quickly befriending everybody. It was probably a great chance for her to get some face time with anybody but her own parents.


12th April 2011

Excellent Photo!!
love the photo of Abbey and Pauline on the dinghy!!!!
12th April 2011

Wow!
What else is there to say. Fantastic photos. The experience of a lifetime. Abbey clearly has some pretty cool parents. Happy travels. Maria
12th April 2011
Sharing the beach

What a great family photo!! Looks like you're having a blast!
12th April 2011

Galapogos - Day 2
What a wonderful description of things, and great photos. That is one place I have often thought I would like to visit. Thank you for sharing. Abbey and Pauline look sooo happy on the dinghy.
13th April 2011

Great photos of the wildlife on the Galapagos. Those Iguanas are some big suckers! Reminds me of when Iwas a kid in Shoal Lake and the salamanders came out of the lake and were crawling all over the back yard. My mom wouldn't even walk to the car for fear she would step on one.

Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb