Day Eight: Health Promoters Again


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Tena
September 8th 2012
Published: September 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today, we began a two day training for the health promoters similar to the one we did in Quito. Because Tena is so much more rural that Quito, it is imperative that the health promoters have a more solid education, especially about when it is important to get someone medical attention and how to keep them healthy until that can happen. For today, we focused on first aid. We talked about breaks, sprains, and strains, bug bites, snake bites, choking, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration, wound care, etc. They really wanted to know how to place stitches properly, likely because in reality, they will be doing this, not a doctor. The health promoters were so enthusiastic and they got to practice a lot of the skills we taught. This is also where we handed out the first aid kits we made!

After training was finished, Val and August took us on a hike to see a beautiful waterfall. It was a pretty hard hike but it was so worth it.

That night after dinner, we went down to a small local bar to learn how to salsa! I'm not very good at it but it was fun. We looked at the stars on our way back. There are so many stars there and they are all so bright. It's like it's not even the same sky we see here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb