Macas


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Tena
August 14th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Macas is a pretty remote jungle town. However, I liked it, as it is relaxed, has a nice climate - not too warm, not too cold -, lies inmidst rolling green hills and has good food and friendly people. My main purpose to visit was however (unrelated to the book project) a visit to a local Shuar family.

I went to the family of Daniel Ayuy who live about an hour outside of Macas next to a river, in the jungle. It is a lovely family with 10 kids. Daniel told me that he had actually wanted a lot more kids and thus wanted a second wife which is custom among the Shuar (his grandfather had 5 wifes!), but his wife who is a Kichwa did not agree, so he gave in and now only has few kids ;-).

I went on a jungle trip with Daniel and 2 of his sons and he explained lots of interesting things about the plants. 2 of the older boys took me on a trip on the river to a hill from where there is a great view of the Amazon plain to one side and Sangay volcano to the other side.

Daniel is happy to take up tourists for a couple of days. He can be contacted at 086 144264. There are two buses a day going from Macas to the Comunidad Buena Esperanza, and from there it is about 20 min walk to Dani's cabanas. Bring rubber boots, a (light) sleeping bag, a swim suit, and a warm sweater as the evenings are not that warm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb