The Jungle Experience


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » El Coca
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Theres a reason these places are called Rainforests



More an experience than a photographic subject, the rain and the animals having little respect for us tourists.

Leaf-cutter ants chew off pieces of the leaves of trees and carry them, single file, to their underground nest, where the leaves stored in warm humid conditions will develop a fungus growth. This fungus is food for the ants.

Stepping over a procession of leaf-cutter ants while walking through the Amazon rainforest in the pouring rain is one of those priceless experiences that so typifies this part of the world.

The Amazon is a wet place and for the last 5 days we, and everything we own, has been wet too. A little uncomfortable, yes, but its quickly forgotten when drifting down the river in our canoe we are accompanied by an incredibly blue butterfly with each wing as big as my hand and then a troupe of Capuchin monkeys jumps through the trees right above our head.

We have been staying at SaniLodge in eastern Ecuador, operated by and for the Sani community. All profits go to the welfare and education of the 400 members of the community and each person is encouraged to play a part in the operation of the lodge.

Our time here has gone way too fast. We´ve met some great people, seen some incredible sights, been amazed at the knowledge the guides have of their forest and are really sad to leave.

But, I´m writing this aboard a flight from Quito to Lima ... the start of a brand new adventure.








Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

TarantulaTarantula
Tarantula

On the dining room floor frightening the daylights out of the guests from New York
Jungle UmbrellasJungle Umbrellas
Jungle Umbrellas

Some friends who forgot their raincoats


20th April 2009

sounds great!
wow sounds like you've been really touched by your travel experiences - how fabulous! can't wait to see the pics of the jungle sis x
21st April 2009

hi bob and julie! very jealous that your travels in continue... i'm back in nyc hoping that memories of sani will carry me thru the week. take care and enjoy peru!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb