The jungle - Yarini Lodge


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » El Coca
August 19th 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jungle Jungle Jungle

On route to the Lodge
Hi everyone here is the Amazon jungle blog. Make the most of them there are only two more to go!!!

I´d been wanting to visit the Amazon since landing in Latin American having heard so much about it. The jungle and Banos were the last two visits in Ecuador and it would have meant having seen everything on the list and spending two months in the country!! Previously the most time I´d spent in one country was Oz and that was five weeks. After putting back my flights to Rio by 2 weeks I set about trying to pick a lodge that looked good. It was a minefield in Quito there are so many travel agents and the cost is quite high so its important to shop around. The Rough guide book also listed all the lodges and Yarini caught my eye as it was only one hour by boat from Coca. Some of the other lodges are 6,7 or even 9 hours deep in the Amazon and after having been on the road for 7 months the prospect of 2 long boat journeys on top of flying was not appealing. Next year maybe......

The lodge was very comfy with great food, excellent guides, amazing wildlife and it had a good programme of activities including walking the trails, canoing, fishing, visiting local village and house, blow pipe shooting and night walks. The wildlife was great with groups of Monkeys swinging from tree to tree almost every day, birds of wonderful colours, Caymans and Soldier Ants. The night walks were the best as the sounds the jungle makes are incredible. It was also very peaceful sleeping in the cabins as you could hear all the jungle noises. During the day it was so hot the walks started at 7am and finished at 11am with the afternoon walk at 3.30pm. In between it was time for lots of local Ecuador food and a long nap in the hammock. Night time was pretty quite and the electricity went out at 10.00pm but by then it feels like 2 in the morning its so dark and the walks were pretty tough going especially in the swamp!!!

Anyway I´ll let the pictures do the rest hope you enjoy them.......










Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

On the watchtower On the watchtower
On the watchtower

It was buzzing with flies !!
Watchtower Watchtower
Watchtower

Used for spotting wildlife
Lagoon boardwalk Lagoon boardwalk
Lagoon boardwalk

Could spot turtles lazing in the sun
After After
After

It was very tasty !
The guides obtaining some healing The guides obtaining some healing
The guides obtaining some healing

medicine for headaches


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb