Rolling Through Riobamba


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Riobamba
June 3rd 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

June 3: Slowly but surely, Ryan and I are making our way to the Peruvian border. We have spent the last several days wandering through Quito´s Old Town, marveling at the beautifully restored buildings, imposing churches, and frenetic pace! The city teems with life, and I could not help but feel as though I had just been swept along with it. We learned the ins and outs of Quito´s complex transport system, and quickly learned to watch our pockets: In the cramped Metro, commuters, families, and vagrants alike stream in and out at every station. I was often unlucky enough to be squeezed against the doors in the Metro, and as I uncomfortably pressed against the glass to allow the cars to burst, I became aware of how dangerous the city can be. A young boy, maybe 5 or 6, entered my car and began serenading the captive audience with a high voice and an open backpack against his chest. As the stop approached, he made his way to the doors and waited to alight. The doors parted, and the usual rush of people stormed past. I looked over just in time to see his little hand stretching for my pocket. As soon as he was aware of my gaze, he darted out of the car and gave me a devilish little smile. Crime has many faces in Quito. We summited the massive cathedral later that day, and took in a metal concert in Mariscal Sucre. The equator has also been checked off our list, as well as cuy (guinea pig). Tasted like chicken.

We are currently in Riobamba, a small city in the center of Ecuador. The downtrodden air is a welcomed change from the pollution and chaos in Ecuador's capital, but the colonial churches and small squares seem lackluster and dull compared to their grandiose rivals in Quito. We'll be departing tomorrow for Guayaquil, the largest city and commercial center of Ecuador. Stay tuned.

Hasta luego,
Brian


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Riobamba Street ViewRiobamba Street View
Riobamba Street View

View from the Hotel
Passin' ThroughPassin' Through
Passin' Through

Somewhere in Central Ecuador.


7th June 2008

from the home front
Sounds like you are covering a lot of ground and seeing some amazing sites. (Hope you brought your money belt along to ward off sticky fingers and charming imps.) We're all enjoying your romps from our armchairs here in Tucson. Can't wait to see your pictures and hear more adventures. Be safe. Have fun. (How's your Spanish fluency coming along?) Love, Mom

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb