Banos Ecuador (Day 3)


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
March 21st 2014
Published: March 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 32 Today most of the group set out on a 3 hour one-way walk along a number of trails up Mt. Tungurahua to reach a viewpoint of the volcano from the side about 2/3rd of the way up which is the closest point that tourists are allowed. Surprisingly the volcano has been quite active since 1998 and ash was spewing out as recently as early Feb this year.

The trail was very steep rising 850 mtrs over a few km's. The weather was cool to start with with some mist around the peak but we had high hopes the mist would clear through the morning but instead the mist intensified so that when we reached our peak Tungurahua was a complete white-out. However, everyone enjoyed the workout & saw it as good prep for our time in Peru.

Our guide organised a 4wd pick-up for our return to the hotel. Some were then planning a zip-line experience where you can get a multiple ticket with up to all of 6 different variations.

In Spanish 'banos' means baths and its proximity to waterfalls and hot springs is one of the reasons it has become a mecca for international
Tree House at the end of walkTree House at the end of walkTree House at the end of walk

Mist had move right in by then
travellers seeking year-round temperate weather. While we contemplated a hot spring after our walk the nearest spring to our hotel looked not so appealing & a better option was another taxi ride away. Our bodies decided the walk was enough for one day & we would delay the zip-line & spa for another day.

Due to the original bath meaning it's modern meaning has extended to bathroom or toilet which is somewhat unfortunate for Banos as it's anything but a toilet town.

We are having an informal group dinner tonight to cap a memorable time in Banos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb