Land of Waterfalls


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
February 17th 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We made it to Baños from Ambato, and it´s so great here we´re not going to make it much further. This is a valley town nestled in between some giant volcanoes, with waterfalls pouring down all over the place, and lush green steep slopes with great views. The air is cool and fresh, the peope are nice, as always. Our hostel has a giant garden, hammocks, includes breakfast, and costs $8 per night. They were apologetic for the fact that during carnival the prices would be increased, and upon inquiring further turns out they are raising it to a whopping $10. Breakfast still included. I should mention we have a balcony too, with chairs that overlook the mountain slopes and church steeples. There are numerous hot spring baths in town, hence the name.

Since arriving we have gone on some hikes. Today we hiked up a large portion of the volcano, but only saw a plume of smoke through the relentless clouds that linger around the mountain tops. We also felt a volcano rumble, which was a pretty intense feeling. It´s an active volcano, and spews out various volcano gunk regularly.

I´m loving the murals here, there are lots. Actually, a dump truck just drove by and that too had a lovely mural on the side of it. Nicest dump truck I´ve ever seen.

Tomorrow, off to the jungle!! We will be out there for 3 days, doing something or other. We are ready for another adventure after having a couple lax days. Time is going to fly from here. It´s going so fast!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb