11 Fun Facts About Colombia That You Could Never Imagine


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia
April 22nd 2022
Published: April 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post



While crime and mafia shows have shown a different side of Colombia, it is nothing that you will experience today. It offers a modern city vibe enveloped in raw and untouched nature. The cuisine is excellent, and the biodiversity is high.

Here are the top eleven fun facts about Colombia that you could never imagine.

Colombia Is The Number One Country Of Emerald Exports

Between 70 and 90 percent of the world's emeralds come from Colombia. These emeralds are known for their deep yet bright green hues like no other. So, Colombian emeralds are the gold standard for these gemstones.

The country mines these emeralds and then exports them around the world. On the other hand, the rival emeralds come from Zambia. However, they offer a blue and green hue rather than a deep and bright green.

Colombia Ranks Second In Biodiversity

Colombia is one of the top seventeen countries in the world that come under the classification of megadiverse. You can find out of every ten species on Earth in this country. All of this is possible because of the diverse ecosystems you find here.

The country has rainforests, savannahs, desserts, Andean cloud forests, and much more. Because of this, almost all kinds of organisms can easily thrive in Colombia.

Want to visit Colombia? Check the Colombia visa details at https://www.natvisa.com/colombia-blog/visa-policy.

The National Flower Of Colombia Is An Orchid

The national flower of Colombia is the orchid Cattleya trianae. It is a native species and was chosen as the national flower in 1936. That is because the flower represents the colors of the country’s flag.

For example, the flower’s lower part is red, blue, and yellow. So, its colors make it ideal for representing the country and its beautiful flag.

Colombian Coffee Ranks Number Three In The World

There are more than 500,000 farming families in Colombia that create rich and deep-flavored coffee beans. The demand is so high that most of the coffee beans are exported to other countries. As a result, you can find coffee cafes everywhere in Colombia with the best coffee in the world.

The beans are high in quality and give competition to Vietnamese and Brazilian coffee beans. The Colombian coffee is relatively bolder and richer in flavor.

There Is A Naturally Occurring Rainbow River In Colombia

The river of five colors, also known as Cano Cristales, is a freshwater river that has incredibly bright hues. That is because the algae and aquatic plants in the river are bright colored. Because of this, you will notice that the flowing stream has the colors green, yellow, red, orange, and blue.

These colors are unique, and you will not find such a beautifully colored stream anywhere else on Earth. The view is mesmerizing, and if you are in Colombia, you must visit the rainbow river. It will take your breath away.

The Tallest Palm Trees In The World Are In Colombia

Colombia is home to the tallest palm trees in the world. You can find these trees in the Colombian Andes, where there is the Los Nevados National Natural Park with the valley known as Valle de Cocora. These trees are almost 200 feet tall.

Out of the many species of palm trees we find in Colombia, the wax palm tree is the national tree of Colombia. Many endangered birds plus jays and toucans live in these trees. They also eat the fruits from these trees and disperse the seeds to grow more such trees.

Colombia Is Home To More Than Thirty Unique Exotic Fruits

If you are a fruit lover, Colombia will be a paradise to you. That is because you will find many unique tropical fruits that will tantalize your taste buds. Some of these unique fruits include:


• Cherimoya: A sugar apple
• Araza: A sour fruit
• Guanabana: A slimy white pulp
• Granadilla: Orange similar to passionfruit
• And many others


You can easily find these unique fruits at the local markets and have a taste. Once you do, you will want to keep trying more unique fruits.

Colombia Has Sixty National Parks

The national parks in Colombia cove rover 10 percent of the entire country. The most famous national park out of these is the Tayrona National Park that locals and tourists love to visit. The national parks are huge, and these areas are marked by big jungles, glaciers, lakes, rainbow rivers, rock paintings, and much more.

The mountain ranges create the best landscape for national parks, along with stunning beaches. Because of the diverse landscape, the national parks are also unique and beautiful.

Radio And Television Play The National Anthem Twice In A Day

Patriotism is built deeply into the country and its citizens. The law requires radio and television to play the national anthem twice a day. Citizens can hear this national anthem at 6 am and then again at 6 pm.

Bogota Is A Haven For Graffiti Art

Artists from around the world come to paint the streets of Bogota. It is one of the top cities in the world that has graffiti art all over. These murals depict whimsical cartoons, social issues, tributes to Colombia, protest art, and much more.

Colombia Is The 25th Largest Country

Colombia is a massive country as it is twice the size of Spain or France. Besides that, it has the same coastline length as the U.S pacific coast. However, the public transport system is excellent, making it easy for everyone to get around.

Final Words

These are the top eleven fun facts about Colombia we bet you didn’t know before. It is one of the best countries that must be on everyone’s bucket list. From diverse ecosystems to beautiful national parks and delicious tropical fruits, you will find everything in this country.

So, what are you waiting for? Plan your trip to Colombia soon and explore the best region in the world in no time. There is so much to do that you will never feel bored or dull.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.627s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb