Leaving Minca, back to Santa Marta


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Santa Marta
January 18th 2012
Published: January 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
MincaMincaMinca

Hospital in Minca - Best to stay healthy!
Wednesday 1-8-12

I slept really well last night. I have not said anything about the sleeping arrangements at Ranchero de la Luna in Minca. We are on the top floor and there is only one full size bed that hangs from ropes in the middle of the room. Given Lance’s condition he automatically gets the bed. There is a sofa and Milton, the owner, covers it in sheets and blankets for me. It was great. I wake in the morning to birds all around the house. I can hear Milton moving downstairs. He already has coffee brewing and is cutting up vegetables. I walk downstairs. The smell of coffee is wonderful. The taste is even better. Milton is making a consume. He thinks it will be easy on Lance’s stomach. He has cut up potatoes, onions, cilantro, celery, and perhaps other thing. He is also making a bread dough which he forms into pancake like shape and grills them. He has a herb butter. What a wonderful start to the day.

The coffee plantation, La Victoria, is a 30 minute ride up the mountains on the back of a motorcycle over dirt trails. Not a good idea for Lance.
MincaMincaMinca

Coffee beans drying in the street
He is doing MUCH better and is being very tough, but we cancel the plan to visit the coffee plantation. I tell Milton, and he says, don’t worry I will take you on a tour of our coffee farm. It was awesome, see pics. I ask if I can buy any untoasted coffee beans. He says, sure. This was cool. After we walk his farm, he picks-up a large bag of the beans that were drying in the sun. We return to the house and he puts them through a grinder that removes the outer shell. Then he sifts the beans and shells in the wind to remove the shells and the skins. The process (see videos) takes about 20 minutes and I now have a pound of unroasted beans!

After a great morning, we thank Milton and pay him, ($15.00 USD each) and head to the central to catch a collectivo back to Santa Marta. The collectivos hold 4 people and 2 are waiting so we jump in and we are off. We are sharing the ride with two very interesting people. It is a couple. They met in Columbia. He is from Spain and she is from
MincaMincaMinca

Saying good-bye to the kids!
South America. They are in their late 20’s and are now living in Tanganga. They are truly free spirits. They have a bar in Taganga and are saving to buy a VW bus so they can tour South America – no plans just head south. Lance is in the back with the two of them and they have a great conversation! 50 minutes later we arrive in Santa Marta and pay the driver $3 USD each.

Upon arrival, I am off to Spanish classes. When I return from class, we decide to walk the town. We buy a few little things (I buy a mask) and return to the hotel. Lance and I are undecided about dinner. We had in mind El Bistro. After walking and looking we go to the Bistro. It was delightful. I had Filet Mignon, with a potato casserole and salad. Lance had chicken with wine sauce and mushrooms. Both were delicious. Before dinner we had a baked brie with a berry sauce and toasted bread. I had two glasses of wine. For dessert we had crème brulee and a baked apple desert with ice cream and a white sauce. The dinner was wonderful. Cost:
MincaMincaMinca

Minca transport......
$45 USD.

Lance is doing much better. His stomach is almost normal and his back is ok, not normal.

Thursday 1-19-12

I started my Spanish classes early again today (7:30 a.m.). My teacher is wonderful. If you are in Santa Rosa, and want to study Spanish in a very informal setting, check out Neotropical Language School Calle 21 3-88 Corner of Calle 22 & Carrera 4, www.neotropical.se. After classes, we tossed our stuff into our bags and ran for the bus. Four hours later we were back in Cartagena. Tomorrow we will fly to Botoga.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

MincaMinca
Minca

Milton making breakfast
MincaMinca
Minca

Walking to Milton's coffee farm. They cut the path in the hill and built the hand-rails with bamboo
MincaMinca
Minca

Removing the outer skin of the coffee bean. It is red and very sweet.
MincaMinca
Minca

Milton's coffee beans drying in the sun.
MincaMinca
Minca

Grinding the coffee beans to remove the shell.


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb