San Augustin - Worth the Bus Ride


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » San Agustin
April 8th 2009
Published: April 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 733 (01.04.09)

San Augustin is famed for it's archaeological sites where carved stone statues sit outside large grand tombs topped with huge slabs of stone. It takes a bottom-bruising 7 hours on a slow and bumpy bus to get here from Popayan and having woken up this morning feeling just about recovered from the previous day's journey we were ready to go out and explore. There are several sites around the area that can be visited by horse or jeep tours but you can also get to the Parque Arqueologico on the local bus which takes in a few sites. This is what we did today.

We spent a few hours wandering around the small museum and the various tombs spread out over the surrounding hills. We particularly enjoyed the forest walk which was dotted with about 30 different statues that looked really cool in the greenish light under the trees. An interesting place it had definitely been worth the bus ride and we wished we had a little longer to explore the other sites in the area.

Back in town we collected up some ingredients for dinner, climbed the hill back to the hostel and set the fire going for cooking later. The evening passed with plenty of rum, some excellent fire-cooked chicken and lots of laughs as we made the most of our last days with Vic and John.

Day 734 (02.04.09)

We'd only planned to stay for one day in San Augustin but a combination of the excellent hostel and the terrible bus ride to come encouraged us to stay another day. We chilled around the hostel, reading, playing cards and chatting and cooked up another good feast for dinner that night. A perfect day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



27th December 2009

good times!
nice pics!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb