Yuramal, Colombia to Pasto, Colombia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Pasto
October 31st 2015
Published: November 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

We wound our way down the hillside city of Yuramal and along some gorgeous scenic roads. We came upon a memorial site in Don Matias situated by a waterfall which was impressive.

There's a large catholic religious presence here with grand churches in every town and plenty of crosses and images of Jesus everywhere.

It was only a very short ride to our stop at Medellen so we stopped off at the BMW dealer for coffee and a look around the mall along with lunch.

We then headed to our hotel guided by a nice chap from BMW who guided us through the traffic to our hotel.

We went out with Deane for drinks and dinner and in the meantime there was yet another great thunder storm. We got back to our room dry albeit a bit concerned about getting our bike out from the clay car park.

Next morning we enjoyed a nice complimentary hotel breakfast before Trev road the bike out from the park with no problems whatsoever.

We headed toward Popayan which was a beautiful scenic ride through mountains, alongside rivers and through tree lined roadways. It was a long hot day all the same. Popayan was a small village town and we definitely stood out as foreigners when walking around in the evening and Trev wasn't keen to stay out with me after dark so we had an early night.

Our aim for today was to reach the city of Pasto via a mountain pass.

The riding was steep and curvy with some of the best views we've seen yet. Majestic mountains and rocky escarpments lined our roads. We rode to an altitude of 2726 metres (that we noticed- may have got higher without noticing) and the temperature ranged from a hot (but not muggy for a change) 37 degrees going down to 13 degrees in the mountains.

The juxtapositions of wealth and poverty are glaringly obvious, houses (huts) with dirt floors often with a motorbike or scooter parked out front often only metres from gated communities or flash houses with swimming pools.

The speed limits of 30 and 40 kph meant little to anyone, we got along at about 100 / 110 except for in the hills where we slowed considerably for the curves as well as the every present occurances of dogs, cows, donkeys and horses

Prior to decending into Pasto the skies opened and we stopped to put on our wets. We arrived in Pasto around 3.30pm.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


Stopped at roadworks Stopped at roadworks
Stopped at roadworks

We usually all ride to the front as is the normal here. All the bikes go first - makes sense!



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb