Pasto Carnival museum


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Pasto
March 26th 2021
Published: March 27th 2021
Edit Blog Post

25th March - Pasto #heygo http://www.heygo.com

The Carnival Museum consists of two spaces, in one of them the history and its reason for being are narrated through a documented photographic record, where it is possible to become infected with the allegory of the carnival.

Another of the spaces of the Museum is the exhibition of the works that represent the carnival, here we saw the puppets of the old years.

It was so colourful.



The Black and White Carnival is one of the most symbolic Colombian festivals, reflecting the cultural traditions of the region. It was declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2009, and every year it brings together tourists from abroad and locals from across Colombia.

This carnival takes place between the 2 and 7 of January in Pasto. However, a Pre-Carnival is held on December 28 and 30.



The origin of this celebration dates back to those held by the indigenous groups of this region to give their thanks for successful harvests. Little by little, they borrowed elements of Spanish and African fairs and festivals, due to the close contact they had with these cultures.

This event is regarded as the only carnival with purely indigenous roots, which grew from the mixing of cultural influences that occured after Colombia’s Independence. Nowadays there are a variety elements adopted in the Pasto carnival, such as music, paintings,and floats with huge sculptures.



Pre-Carnival – December 28th

On the 28th of December the party starts with a huge water fight. Literally the entire city of Pasto goes out onto the street and participates in a giant water fight. They bring all their ammunition water guns, water bottles, hoses, water balloons and whatever else one can get their hands on. The aim of the game is to get as many people as possible soaking wet.



Children’s Carnival – January 3rd

Why should adults have all the fun? The Black and White Children’s Carnival is a miniature version of the adults carnival. The day is dedicated to families and is all about getting the next generation excited and involved in carnival.



The Parade of the Castaneda Family – January 4th

The Parade of the Castaneda Family kicks off the official carnival. This procession has been occurring ever since 1928
and gets its name from a family who came into town to watch a Horse Parade. The family which consisted of numerous kids, arrived with all their pigs and sheep.

The father of the family began waving to the crowd that had gathered to watch the Horse Parade and shouted “Viva La Familia Castañeda!” The parade of this family became institutionalized as an official part of carnival.

Today in commemoration of that day, the local people of Pasto dress up in period costumes, transporting the city back in time. There are also carnival groups who perform the peasant dance which is traditional and well-known style of dance.



The Day of the Blacks – January 5th 2022

January 5th is still to this day all about commemorating the African Slaves who had to fight to win this day of freedom. To honour them everyone paints their bodies head to toe in black and shouts “Long live the Blacks!” Painting yourself in black is done to show there is no distinction between races.



The Day of the Whites – January 6th

The Day of the Whites is when the colour changes. Today
everyone covers themselves head to toe in talcum power, flower or shaving creams. There is also an artistic procession that demonstrates the creativity of the local Pasto Artisans. The parade runs for 7km through the Pasto city centre and the crowds shout “Long Live the Whites!”


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement






Tot: 0.434s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb