Cartagena to Medellin in Columbia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin
October 29th 2015
Published: October 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Cartagena to Medellin
It took the best part a a day with a 5.30am start to get the bikes off the boat via a metal barge.
We had to wait until after 8.00 to get into customs,but as all the paperwork had been sent in a couple of days before by Ludwig,the process was just a hurry up and wait,as usual, so we took the opportunity to have breakfast while we waited.
Getting the bikes off the barge,down a slippery wooden ramp was our first challenge of the day, with every one achieving 10 out of 10 for that. With the papers cleared by around 11.00 am,we went back to the jetty and returned to the boat to collect all our luggage and then we headed back to the hotel.
A friend of Dean's that he rode with in the 'Stans' rode up from Bogota to see him and stayed in our hotel. We made an effort to secure some compulsory insurance but failed at that,so we have decided to take the risk as it were.
The next day after refuelling he sorta led us outa town which took an hour to clear the city traffic.
The riding was a bit challenging with the amount of big trucks going both ways.
Our destination was to be Yarumal,which was more than half way to Medellin.
The road for the morning was just a ride with sorting big trucks,but after our lunch in Caucasia the road began to climb into the mountains and with that a welcome drop in temperature,as we got to around 2,500m it was down to 17deg and thick fog. The fog passed as we reached the summit and started dropping and it became another great ride to mark up. We arrived at our hotel just on dark and as we were just off the Central Plaza,there were many people interested in us and our bikes.
After securing our bikes and a quick shower we headed off to Plaza for dinner and an early night as we had done 532km on some pretty challenging roads.
A lazy start to our day with first gear close to 9.00am as we only had 139km to get to Medellin,but we knew the roads and traffic would be a challenge again.
We had a good ride and found the BMW dealership in Medellin,as we were to early to book into our hotel. The people here at Ruta 40 Motorad couldn't be more helpful. We shopped a bit,as you do and they looked after our bikes and gear so we could go to the mall,which was just across the road and have lunch.
When we returned from lunch and Gerardo asked if they knew the directions to our hotel, the fellow did and he jumped on a scooter and led us through the maze of traffic and one way streets-what a guy, I trust he will be back in the morning to lead us outa town (not)
So tomorrow we leave this massive mountain city and keep headed south.
Cheers. Rosco


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Gerardo surrounded by onlookers Gerardo surrounded by onlookers
Gerardo surrounded by onlookers

Thi kids were hungry for information about us.
Plaza YarumalPlaza Yarumal
Plaza Yarumal

They love the naked images but are fully clothed themselves.
Memorial on the side of the road. Memorial on the side of the road.
Memorial on the side of the road.

This was a massive memorial built into a cave beside the road. When they get it wrong on this road it's pretty much crash and burn.


7th November 2015

Motorcycles
I love reading your blogs and hearing your stories about having to deal with getting the bikes on and off various boats and such. Lots of energy but well worth it. What a great experience. Eager to read more.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb