South to Central Colombia (Cali to Medellin)


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin
August 16th 2011
Published: August 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Due to only having two weeks left until our return flights, we travelled through Colombia pretty rapidly to allow some time to relax on the Caribbean coast. Our first stop from the Ecuadorian border was in Cali, about a 13 hour bus journey from the border. There wasn't a huge amount to see in Cali, other than a zoo which is supposedly the best in Colombia, so we spent a couple of hours checking the zoo out. We only stayed for one night before getting the night bus to Medellin further north. Medellin used to be known as the "most murderous city in the world" a few years ago when Pablo Escobar's cocaine business was at the height of it's power but now it's pretty safe. We really noticed the police prescence everywhere in Colombia. It's hard to walk for 5 minutes without seeing an armed policeman or security guard on a street corner so we didn't feel unsafe at all! We stayed for 2 days in Medellin as there was a big festival going on at the time with loads of concerts in the city parks which were pretty cool. We also did a Pablo Escobar tour, where they take you to his grave and the place he was shot and tell you a bit about the history. The last part of the tour takes you to his brothers house where you can meet him and ask him questions about his past. He still has loads of things from the past like the bullet proof car they used to transport the cocaine, complete with bullet marks! I bought a signed wanted poster and got it signed by him as he once had a price of $10 million on his head along with his brother! Our next stop is Cartegena on the Caribbean coast and then Santa Marta for some beach time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb