Medellin


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin
July 23rd 2018
Published: August 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

In 2016 Medellin won best innovate city, it's the only city that in Colombia that has a metro system, including cable cars. It's a city that has transformed itself from gloom to bloom and the best way to explore this city and the history behind it is by the free walking tours. Trust me! You won't be disappointed!
In 2016 Medellin won best innovate city. it's the only city in Colombia that has a metro system, including cable cars. It's a city that has transformed itself from gloom to bloom in a very short time frame and the best way to explore this city and the history behind it is by the free walking tours. Trust me! You won't be disappointed!
The walking tours are very popular and are booked online a few days before. We did two, one was the city tour and the other was Communa 13/graffiti tour. Both were excellent!
We arrived direct from Salento and had a hostel in Poblado which is the backpacker area.

One thing that is recommended is to take the cable cars which soar over the favellas of Medellin. From Poblado we caught a train, one ticket costs 0.60 pence, you head to the metro cable lines and transfer and go up and back down, all while staying within the stations and not exiting. You can do a whole tour of the city, take photos from the platforms and hop on another train and all it will cost you is 0.60 pence. The cheapest tour around.
Views from the cable cars are great but it's only safe to get off at the end stop.

As mentioned we did two walking tours, the first one being the city tour. The guide was excellent and remembered all 20 names of the group within 15 minutes of meeting us, I still don't even remember his name! We visited many different areas and saw different monuments and buildings and it was great to learn the history about Medellin and afterwards we enjoyed a drink with some people from the group at the oldest bar in Medellin which was great!

We also did the Communa 13 tour. Communa 13 was once the most dangerous place in the world only 15 years ago. Once Pablo Escobar died in 1993, drug gangs all tried to control the area, many people died and the army spent 4 days in 2002 "cleaning" the area.
a lot has changed now, Communa 13 expresses it's change through art, tourism and escalators.
It's still a dodgy area so going on a tour meant we were safe, although we found out the next day that the day we were there someone was murdered in the same area...
We really enjoyed Medellin for its city landscapes and intense history. It's an always evolving and improving city and will be even more popular in the years to come!




Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd August 2018

Murder? !
Murder eh That will help us all relax with you out there Haha!, love the graffiti xxx

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb