Walled City


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
May 7th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.4137, -75.5336

For years Columbia has been something of a no-go zone for travelers. Between armed-to-the-teeth drug cartels, FARC rebels, corrupt police, heavy-handed military, and right wing paramilitary groups there was the potential for the sort of unplanned adventure that made the relative safety of a stroll through Afghanistan, Nigeria, or Scarborough much more appealing (around the dinner table, the only thing Columbian bad guys could agree on was that robbing and/or kidnapping foreigners rivaled soccer as a national pastime).

That has changed recently and although there are still pockets of bad guys doing bad things, much of the country is open for exploration. The newest challenge for Columbia is to develop their tourism infrastructure but outside of Cartegna (which has been a popular cruise ship stop for a while now), they've still got a bit of work to do. Unlike the folks in New Zealand who are able to make a tree a must-see destination, Columbia hasn't sorted through all of its treasures yet. It's a beautiful country and has enormous potential to be a big stop on the travel circuit.

We started our visit in the crown jewel of Columbia. Cartegna might be the most magnificent example of a Spanish colonial town in all of Latin America. Cartegna was also the latest in a long line of cities and towns we have visited in South America whose history exposes the parasitic tendencies of European colonial masters, and the Spanish in particular, while doing little to advance the local culture. It was founded by the Spanish for the sole purpose of plundering the nearby Sinu tombs of all of their gold, and it grew into a major trading port for precious metals stolen from other parts of South & Central America (with one of the more unusual looking forts we've seen protecting the town). If that wasn't questionable enough, it also became an official trade centre for African slaves- nothing like plunder and slavery to transform a small settlement into one of the most significant and wealthy outposts of the Spanish empire. That attracted numerous pirates, predators, and other colonial powers but Cartegna continued to grow until the war of independence (from Spain) when it was decimated. It has never quite recovered the status it had, and currently sits as the 5th largest city in Columbia with a population of 900k. But it does bring alive the days of Spanish 'glory' through its architecture and culture.

And whats the first thing you do in a very traditional Spanish colonial town? Head to the volcano of course. Not just any volcano, but a hot mud volcano- replace the flowing lava of a conventional volcano and you get the idea. Just outside Cartegna, this miniature and growing mountain juts out of the land and is the result of years of non-stop bubbling mud.

It was a local medicinal secret for quite a while but it's now a really unique visit and something of a cash cow for the locals. From the minute we arrived people were pushing and shoving in order to hold, carry, and/or wash things for a small tip. DH, where the 'D' stands for "Don't Stop", got right into the swing of things, slid into the mud crater, and quickly had two Spanish dudes give her a full body mud massage. My turn came later after we had struggled to get out of the volcano, and did a mud waddle down to the nearby lake to clean up. Two local ladies descended on us and enthusiastically tried to pull my shorts off ("naked is good"😉- while I'm fully supportive of most women's attempts to rip my cloths off, it didn't have that same sense of fun with a mud encrusted DH sitting in waist deep lake water and glaring at me like some sort of topless Columbian sea monster (they had attacked her first and successfully whipped her top off). Outside of a self-inflicted wedgie because of the grip I had on my shorts, I managed to maintain most of my dignity and after doling out a multitude of tips we escaped back to the city.

We did a number of tours in and around Cartegna but mostly we just chilled. Spanish colonial buildings, cobblestone streets, sunny days, and outdoor cafes meant that we wandered- sat and had a latte, wandered-sat and had a latte, wandered... and so on. Good fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



1st August 2014

well you had to try.. volcanic mud is good for you :)
1st August 2014

very nice!! bring back memories. want to go back again!!
1st August 2014

Very colourful!
1st August 2014

Hey, whatever works....
1st August 2014

Ya right! You wish....
1st August 2014

mud wrestlers eh.. hmm I guess you have too much fun!!!
1st August 2014

This looks like so much fun!
1st August 2014

Hey Vic you could be a sculpture!
1st August 2014

Ya right Vic, you just wanted to get in on the action! Who are you kidding??
1st August 2014

I want to know how long it took DH to clean all that mud off??
1st August 2014

Bet your skin felt fantastic after that DH!
1st August 2014

it supposse to be the person that make the "slushies" by the beach.
1st August 2014

Baaaahahahaha! Imagine!!!
1st August 2014

Looks clean, but that could just be Vic's amazing photography!!
1st August 2014

Very colourful!!
1st August 2014

I guess you'd have to be brave to live in Columbia!!
1st August 2014

At least the horses don't look half dead!!
1st August 2014

if you tip them they look at you.. I love their dresses, colours and the way they balance their baskets on their head.
1st August 2014

That looks very high maintenance to me....and why is it that no one wants to look at you to have their picture taken??
3rd August 2014

such happy mud creatures...
5th August 2014

I've heard of mud skippers before, but these are the first mud monsters I've ever seen! Great stuff and keep up the good work and we look forward to your Russian adventures.!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb