"Poland? That's a part of Germany, right?"


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
August 9th 2012
Published: August 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After the exhausting 5 days boattrip we needed another 2 days to adjust to the stable land...

Cartagena is a beautiful and charming city, some say its the most romantic city in Colombia or even South America. With its colonial history and architecture we enjoyed wandering around the old part of the city. Its surrounded by a massive defensive wall from the beginning of the 17th century.

Cartagena is full of live, on the first night Kyle, one of the crew members from the boat, took us all out to La Plaza de Trinidad, where many streetvenders sold delicious local food which we had to resist, as Kyle took us to a local small restaurant. There, we had an amazing fishsoup and a second course including a drink for pennies. Afterwards we walked to a very lively square, where we bought beer and sat down on a bench drinking it: one of the things we love about Colombia -its legal to drink in public! Music was played everywhere, people were dancing and vendors sold beer everywhere.

The city was very very very hot but it usually rained for a bit in the afternoon/evening, which resulted in flooded streets,
delicious street fooddelicious street fooddelicious street food

this one is a kind of corn something, fried, opened, an egg cracked inside and again fried. delicious.
making it difficult to move around or at times impossible to cross streets. But there will always be a smart Colombian making a business out of it, placing empty plastic boxes across the street and helping people to get to the other side, getting money for it 😊

In the evenings we usually went out for a drink and enjoyed trying the different streetfoods such as "empanadas". The streets become very lively after 8pm when the sun sets and a refreshing breeze sets it.

Throughout our travels we already learned that Latin American men are very prone to pay a lot of compliments to women, however Colombians took it to a new level dropping the whisteling and replacing it with sequences of the most beautiful compliments such as "Lindas preciosas hermosas princesas" 😊 meaning something like "pretty precious beautiful princess".

So as you can see... WE ARE LOVING IT!...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb