Stop 30: Cartagena: The Caribbean Continued


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
December 19th 2010
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Taganga and continued along the coast to the city of Cartagena. The journey took us through some of the areas badly effected by the flooding that is currently happening in Columbia. We saw peoples homes with water flowing through. Locals had made makeshift roadblocks from which they were begging for a few coins from the passing traffic. It was an incredibly sad sight to see. However, we were a little enheartened to see children playing in and enjoying their new watery predicament. 

On arriving in Cartagena we were instantly struck by how beautiful it is. Incredibly well preserved colonial style buildings sit inside the huge city walls which tower over the Caribbean sea. It makes for a wonderful view and means it is a lovely place to while away a few days. And that's exactly what we did! 

We were incredibly lucky to enjoy glorious sunshine every day here and the city has had an amazingly relaxed and happy atmosphere. You can really tell it's in the Caribbean! 

Aside from exploring the city we made the most of our luck by visiting Playa Blanca on the nearby Islas de Rosario. We had a bit of an adrenaline filled journey there on a speed boat so fast it  would have made Jeremy Clarkson jealous, but once we arrived it was everything we had hoped for. (We had been slightly disappointed by the beaches in taganga but this made good!), a white sand beach stretching for miles adorned with shacks selling coconuts and grilled fish. 

We enjoyed a beautiful lunch, relaxed in the sun looking out at the sea... and after a very romantic proposal we left the beach engaged! 

Words can't explain what a wonderful time we had here. 



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

SunsetSunset
Sunset

The view from Cafe del Mar
DolphinsDolphins
Dolphins

At the Islas de Rosario aquarium
UsUs
Us

After she said yes!


20th December 2010

Congratulations!
Congratulations to you both. What a heavenly end to a heavenly trip! Wishing you infinite happiness, G-d bless, Baruch Hashem, Naomi xxxx
20th December 2010

Congratulations
Congratulations to you both. Really amazing news.
20th December 2010
Us

Congrats!!
Marv just emailed me about your engagement!!! Congratulations!!!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb