Bogata and Home


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
June 16th 2008
Published: June 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Gold ShamansGold ShamansGold Shamans

Present day indigenous people cure ills by rhythmically shaking palm leaves, like these represented in gold.
To stay an extra day in Bogata was a last minute add-on. I usually have no interest in capital cities, but, I'm glad we did check it out. We spent our day visiting various museums, including their well stocked gold museum and strolling through La Candelaria, a section of the city with cobbled streets, shops, crafts, and galleries. We ended the day with a cable car trip to the top of Cerro de Montserrat (10,000 ft). At the top is a church and spectacular views of the city. There are also local vendors, one of which made one of my favorite drinks - Canelazo - a hot, alcoholic cinnamon and cloves. I discovered this drink in Ecuador and it was a treat to find it here!

We were going to check out the salsa scene, but, were left exhausted by the day's activities. We retired to our hotel (we treated ourselves to a stay at the Crown Plaza) and enjoyed the hotel amenities.

One of the funniest things happened that night ... despite the luxurouse nature of the hotel, we had, ummm, bathroom issues where the toilet wouldn't flush. My mastery of the spanish language was really stretched as I tried to explain the problem to the hotel receptionist! Somehow, I was able to get the to understand and the problem was resolved.

The following day, Tony and I packed up and left this beautiful country. It really is too big for a two week trip. I'll need to come back and explore more of the country sometime.

I hope you had a good time with us on our journey! Until next time ...

Ciao,

LuAnne




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Justice PalaceJustice Palace
Justice Palace

in the Plaza de Bolivar
Hotel AmenitiesHotel Amenities
Hotel Amenities

Without a doubt, this hotel had the most complete set of amenities you would need .... it was a suite that included, of course, a bidet!


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb