El Diamante


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
August 29th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

This was definately a week of rest and relaxation. After finishing our fist experience of doing laundry here in Bogota in Abuelita’s patio, we were ready to get out of the city down to ‘tierra caliente’ for some hot weather and sun.

We arrived early Monday morning to the bus station ready to start our way down to Villeta. A small town about 2 hours away from Bogota where the climate is much warmer. We were the only 2 people on the bus when the trip started, but little did we know that the captain has an assistant who leans out the bus door and screams into the street the destination of where our bus is going. I guess he did that JUST in case he finds a random person that needs a ride. The first hour consisted of some good salsa music blaring from the bus speakers and our bus friend yelling ‘LA VEGA, VILLETA, UTICA, LA VEGA, VILLETA UTICA!!’ All of those words by the way are destinations of where our bus was going.

We arrived to our destination around 11am that morning. We hailed down a cab in Villeta and went for a short ride to the outskirts of the city for what was our home for the last 4 days. La Hacienda Hotel, El Diamante. We received a warm welcome from the staff who were absolutely amazing by the way. I’m sure it also helped that we were the ONLY patrons staying at the hotel the ENTIRE time we were there. El Diamante consisted of over 150 rooms and we had checked into 101. There was an eerie feeling knowing we are the only people staying there. A very ‘The Shining’ type of atmosphere at some times. Take a look at our hallway picture to get a glimpse of what we mean.

Our days were spent mainly, no wait, entirely of swimming, playing ping pong, eating amazing food and being waited on hand and foot. The wait staff prepared meals 3 times a day, snacks in between, all beverages included. We did quite a bit of exploration as well. A few miles away from the hotel was ‘Los Altos’. An area consisting of seven different water falls all differing in height and accessibility. We made it to the 2nd water fall simply because we weren’t well equipped to rise any higher. All waterfalls above number 2 require climbing gear. We found a few locals diving and swimming on the 2nd fall.

Our trusty guide ‘Paola’ then showed us around Villeta, where she was born and raised. There was some sort of strange pageant for old ladies going on when we got to the main plaza. None of us could really figure out was going on. See for yourself, the lady looking down on the left was the big winner. Beats us what she won!?

During the nights we would walk around the hotel and a whole new set of wild life emerged. Everything from frogs to bats and light bugs, Lara’s favorite! We also had the pleasure of eating fresh coconut and the gardener actually cut some up for us to take home. Our stay was absolutely wonderful despite the eerie nights. We caught a bus on Thursday afternoon back to Bogota which was 10 times more crowded than our way out there.

Well, this week was definately quite relaxing. This upcoming week we’ll be planning our trip to Cartagena and a few other side trips including Villa de Leyva, Tunja and San Gil. Besides planning we’ll be visiting various museums and parks in Bogota. Until next time, Hasta Luego!




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



30th August 2008

Hey Matthew and Lara, it looks like you were like royalty at the "Diamante"! The pictures are great and your description of the ride in the "Flota" with the helper was sooo typical, some things just never change. I included on a private message some e-mail addresses from Diana and Estela, for you to add. How did you keep the wind from taking the Ping Pong ball away? Thanks for the update!, Keep them coming!
30th August 2008

I am soo jelous!! I wish I was there! What an adventure
5th September 2008

WHOA
Man, I am so freakin jealous. That countryside looks absolutely beautiful. Go find a beach and have a gin and tonic on it. :D

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb