Sopetran not Copetran, Antioquia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Antioquia
October 8th 2012
Published: November 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A small village to enjoy

In my continued quest to visit more places in the beautiful Antioquia, I arrived in Sopetran, a locality situated in the West of the region. Located at only 59 kilometres, which is about 90 minutes from Medellin, the city is surrounded by some beautiful villages such as Olaya, San Jerónimo, and Santa Fé de Antioquia.




The Church





Dominating the park, the huge church appears quite inviting given its peace and quitenes. Inside, some European paintings such as la Inmaculada, Nuestra Señora del Carmen and a spectacular Corazon de Jesús embellish the roof of the temple.





What´s there for us to enjoy?




The tourist will enjoy the attractiveness of a small village, its nature, fruits and agricultural products. They can also stay at one of the huge haciendas and fincahoteles, which enjoy all the commodities of city houses. Huge with ample corridors and parkings, most of them offer air conditioning. What else can you ask for?

Just picture yourself, staying in the countryside profiting by the charm of the countryside people..





Sopetrán, not Copetrán




Although the origin of the name Sopetrán is still unknown, there are two theories trying to answer the question. On the one hand, some people say that it was the Spaniards who, eager to find sea salt for their new houses, would come to this locality quite often. Legend has it that they would then call it Sopetran as a way of thanking the Sopetran Virgin for all her favours. Others, however, contend that it was in the name of a cacique called Petrán. Whatever it is, thanks God it is not Copetrán...





The Tunnel





Thanks to this huge tunnel, the city has actually enjoyed a large increase in the number of tourists willing to visit it.





Well, that was a short entry for a tiny destination, just by the church, I thought it was a very religious municipality full of charm and quiteness.

very different from what I had seen so far.

Bye for now, folks


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb