September in Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
September 10th 2010
Published: September 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

September in Chile is marked by two very important events that dominate Chilean history. The first, as pointed out recently by an email from the US embassy, is September 11th, the anniversary of the Pinochet coup of 1973. Twenty seven years ago a new form of government began to rule this nation that I now live in, permanently scarring its society. Today, it's a day that reminds everyone of how the government can strip you of all you have or make you rich overnight. It's a day for society to express itself and remind public authorities who really has the power now. As a result, there are massive protests all over the nation tomorrow, and as guests in a foreign country, the US embassy has asked us to be careful, not intervene and let Chileans express themselves. It's funny how things work out at the end. No intervention.

The second, and the most important event in September is the Chilean Independence Day, September 18. It just happens that this year is even more important; Chile is celebrating 200 years of independence. Because of this everywhere you go there are Chilean flags: in the classroom, houses and even cars. Everyone is excited and getting ready for "Las Fiestas Patrias". They will be tons of eating, partying and celebrating during 5 days of paid hollidays by the Chilean government. Stop by next week for an update on Chile's Bicentennial.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb