Happy Fiestas Patrias!!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
September 27th 2009
Published: October 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Here are some fun pictures and videos from the Sept. 18th celebration here in Chile. We spent 3 days in Santiago with Carlos' family. We had a great time!


FUN facts about Sept 18th:

1. The beginning of the Independence movement is traditionally dated as September 18, 1810

2. Chileans can ONLY fly their flag in Sept. If you don't fly it in Sept. , there is a fine. If you fly it in any other month, there is a fine (about $80).

3. Sept. 18th foods include:


4. Sept. 19th is the "Día de las Glorias del Ejército". (Glorias Military Day) They have a big, long military parade where all the branches of the military march. It is a long-standing tradition which started in 1832 and a lot families watch in on TV.

5. The sale of meat
Me with the 'gringos'  Zack and AmyMe with the 'gringos'  Zack and AmyMe with the 'gringos' Zack and Amy

I met Zack while studying abroad in Spain in 2002. He and his wife came to Chile in July to teach English and we reconnected.
during the month of Sept. is more than 50 million dollars. Meat is important to Chileans! (provided by Wikipedia)

6. Cuecais the national Chilean dance. It is a couples dance where both the man and woman carry a white hankerchief in their right hand. I was once told it is to resemble the mating ritual of a rooster trying to attract the hen. Not sure but if you see it, it seems to make sense.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Ximena, Me, Jorge and CarlosXimena, Me, Jorge and Carlos
Ximena, Me, Jorge and Carlos

Carlos re-connected with a childhood friend and we were able to visit them at their country home.
Tomas and Rocio (Jorge's kids)Tomas and Rocio (Jorge's kids)
Tomas and Rocio (Jorge's kids)

dancing the cueca in traditional clothes
more dancingmore dancing
more dancing

They were soooo cute!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb