Northward!


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Where are all the Beaches at?Where are all the Beaches at?Where are all the Beaches at?

Here in the summer (our winter) in Viña del Mar. But not now....
We have been heading northward from our days in the Lake District, I already miss it, and we have made an overnight stop in Santiago and then in Valparaíso. A city build on the sea, and on hills. Our hostel was on the hill above the main sea-port, and the hills are quite steep (they have mainy venicular lifts to get people up and down), all though I think they are just for novelty and tourism now, they were used frequently back when they were built cerca early 1900´s. It is a very memorable city. It seems to a local pride thing to paint ones´house either very bright colors or conspire with the neibores and pic colors that would go well with each other. Seeing the city from above or below is quite enthrawling. Watching the color of the homes flow down the hills into the sea. The neiborhoods are very different as well. The area feels unsafe with the constant barking or growling of rabid dogs, and the sounds of car alarms never ending in the back round. Yet the same time these same houses´are very nice, and the cars that arn´t in garages are mid to high-mid end cars.
Sundial and high risesSundial and high risesSundial and high rises

The love their sun dials.
So its a very differrent kind of feeling. We woke up today, and switch gears from the hills of Valparaíso to the beaches of viña del mar. A switch that takes 15 minutes by the train/metro. It´s funny, we could see the beaches from our hostel, but couldn´t imagine them being very nice, seeing we were in a semi-major port city. Now we are here on the beaches looking at high rises with the hills still in sight. Neat little place, I don´t know what all there is to do or see, but a neat place to visit , and it looks like it gets very busy during their summer months. Next our bus leaves to La Sereña, where we should be able to see some observatiories in some of the cleariest skies on the Planet, and also make a day trip to the distillery in Pisco Elqui. Home of the famous and national drink of Chile - the Pisco Sour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Randy playing in a treeRandy playing in a tree
Randy playing in a tree

Neat botanical garden thing here in Viña


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb