Vina del Mar, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
January 21st 2008
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
While we were cruising in the Pacific, pods of whales would sometimes gather near our boat. It was fun to watch them. Yesterday, we ended the cruise when we docked in Valparaiso, Chile. We decided to go just a little farther north and stay in Vina Del Mar, a popular seaside resort town. We knew about this town from Mary Beth Suther because she lived in this area last year. Today, we toured the winery where she worked. Mary Beth has given us lots of advice about things to do and good things to eat while in Chile. We have especially enjoyed the Chilean wines. They were expensive on the boat but are very reasonable on land. The Chilean people are very friendly and helpful. If they see you looking at a map, they will come up to see if you need assistance. The only time that someone tried to scam us was in Puerto Montt. We had noticed three men that kept watching us. They had made a couple of comments to me and I had just ignored them. One of the men panhandled until he got a coin. He walked up beside Walt and dropped the coin as his two friends moved in close to Walt´s back. I was a little farther back behind all of them watching. Walt realized what was happening and did not stop to pick up the coin. He kept moving. I feel sure that they had planned to pick his pocket, bump around him, etc.
Last night, we watched the NFL Playoff in Spanish. We were just glad to get to see it.
Tomorrow, we are going to Santiago for two nights. After that, we will go on to Paraguay and Bolivia.
Take care,
Everette

Advertisement



21st January 2008

Everette, you are the BEST at detailing your travels. I really enjoy everything you put on your blogs. Bobby came to visit for four days and he and his wife are in Germany for two weeks visiting her Mom. They'll come back through here soon. He's stationed in Colorado Springs, CO.

Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb